Maximum MicroSD card/recommended chargers- Fairphone 2

Hi,

First time poster but I’d just like to say how excited I am for the Fairphone 2!

I might be jumping the gun a bit, but I was wondering what the maximum memory size of the Fairphone 2 MicroSD might be? I know that the original Fairphone had a maximum of 64GB. I just want to get everything sorted before it comes (so excited!).

Does anyone also have any recommendations for a microUSB type B charger? I’m stuck on an awful iPhone at the moment so I need to get one before the phone comes so I can charge it.

Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

What is the maximum you will need?

The spec list says FP2 supports “SDHC, SDXC, UHS”. Wikipedia says SDHC is up to 32 GB and SDXC up to 2TB. However I don’t know whether that also means that FP2 necessarily supports these sizes.

Any should be good. Fairphone offers some in their shop.

1 Like

SDHC and SDXC are basically the same thing from a hardware perspective, the difference comes in with the out-of-the-box filesystem, which on the SDXC chips is exFAT.

The FP2 should be fine with any microsd capacity, and if it says SDXC then that means they paid the royalties to Microsoft for the exFAT licence, so it should be all fine.

1 Like

Just to add to the discussion, the original FP1 although it was advertised as 64gb SD, we know from other community members that 128gb works fine.

4 Likes

Does anyone also have any recommendations for a microUSB type B charger?

Any should be good. Fairphone offers some in their shop

Be careful, I have two charger. An old one from Samsung (works fine) and a new one from an electronic market which needs fine tuning of the cable angle and some light weight on the cable to connect to the phone. My car charger works also fine, thus, I blame the charger to be the prblem, not the phone.

My advice: check the carger before buying. Finding your phone as empty as you left it in the evening is quite annoyed in the morning.

Just checking - does an SDXC card work with Mac as well as Windows?

I’m using my 128 GB SDXC card with my Mac running El Capitan.

Okey, let me rephrase my initial suggestion: Any reasonable charger should do it. Don’t fail for cheap knock-offs.

Ah, excellent to hear, thanks very much! It’ll be nice to get my entire music library on my phone without having to shunt anything else out…

1 Like

Thanks everyone, very useful!

Regarding chargers: Does anybody have experiences with car-chargers to plug into the 12V car outlet? Is there a risk in the car outlet delivering too much current or something? Do I need to look on the specs of the charger or how does that work? (Looking for one suitable for FP2)

If it has a USB interface it should meet the USB standard (~5V, <1A), which in any case is suitable for the Fairphone (any phone in that respect).

Ah, excellent to know, my sincere thanks! Gosh…won’t it be nice to have a phone that can carry my entire music library.

Has any one successfully used an exFAT formatted SD card? (mine fails to mount)

Mine fails to mount as well.

If you dont mind to put more than 3GB files on your SD card, FAT32 should work fine.

1 Like

I managed to get it to work. Although I don’t know if my SD card is now formatted as exFAT or FAT32 (frankly I don’t care as long as it works).

• I first formatted the SD-card with SD card formatter. I’m actually not sure that this step is even necessary.
  • Then I inserted the SD card into the FP2.
  • Settings -> Storage -> scroll down to SD card
  • Tapped ‘Erase SD card’ -> SD card is now successfully mounted (some default files/folders are created, like LOST.DIR and Android).

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

Thanks a lot! “Erase SD card” is the solution to get it recognized :slight_smile: Since my card was brand new and empty, i didn’t even lose anything!

I did the same. It gets reformatted (sort of, because it goes very fast) to FAT32. The good thing is that exFAT is poorly supported under linux, it took several days to copy 180GB of music files. And I don’t need the support for files >3GB.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: FP2 Upgradability (the 2GB of memory)