Wallpaper and style’ setting (Material You) missing in FP4 version of Android 12?

@Yasen_Tomov Any idea why that is?

The Material You feature is missing in the setup app. It works with appropriate apps, like Repainter for example.
But I guess you a re right, FP should list the missing features compared to other A12 versions and why they are missing. And what the plan is to close those gaps.

2 Likes

The contrast and the colours of some buttons are very bad. I use the FP4 with my company, and i have in the app laucher the the buttons “privat” and “business” and the baby blue button with with the white fonts colour are extremly bad to read.
The Quickstep Launcher have lots of bugs :frowning: , like the google searchbar, colour bugs in the AppLaucher …

• Bad contrast from the “privat” and “business” Button
  • Colour Failure when you scroll down and at first you open a app, then close it and comes back to the laucher. Around the app launcher searchbar shows the wrong colour.
4 Likes

It doesn’t work with Repainter either (for me at least)

Just shows something like device not supported

2 Likes

Is your device rooted? Or does it maybe work with Shizuku?

For what it’s worth: I think Material You on Android 12 is a Pixel-exclusive feature and not part of AOSP. At least, it is not in any Android 12 emulators for developers either.

I think Material You only became a “regular” Android feature in Android 13. It’s a mess. Google even hardcoded an allowlist of manufacturers for the official library app developers are supposed to use: https://www.androidpolice.com/these-smartphone-brands-could-support-android-12s-dynamic-material-you-theme/.

10 Likes

It actually isn’t rooted, because some streaming services might just straight up refuse to work.
I can give Repainter root permissions through shizuku (maybe), but Repainter still sais “your device is not supported”. It does metion i have to root my phone (no word of shuziku).

Did it work on your phone (regardless if with root or shizuku)?

Yes, my FP4 is rooted from day 1 and Repainter works just fine. And I am not really sure if Shizuku should work at all. That was just a wild guess. For me on my business phone it works fine with SwiftBackup, so I thought it might be worth a try.

The theme engine has been open source for almost a year in fact.
https://www.xda-developers.com/monet-engine-open-sourced-android-12l/

The very first word in that article is “Android 12L”. 12L is not Android 12, it’s Android “12.1”.

See also:
“However, this cool feature has been exclusive to Google’s Pixel phones so far. But that’s set to change soon as Google has now fully open-sourced the Monet engine with Android 12L.”

So, that supports my believe: Android 12 did not include Material You yet, it was still Pixel-exclusive then.

5 Likes

Does that mean this feature will likely come to FP4 in a future update?

1 Like

Unlikely that it’s getting added before an Android 13 release.

I’d imagine they’ll skip 12L altogether and aim straight for A13.
All we can hope for is for that process to happen quicker this time around :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

I tried it with repainter and shizuku but its still telling me to root my phone. I could but don`t want to do that. It would be quite nice from the fairphone team to fix that issue.

Alright, thanks for the clarification. I assumed they would just use the latest version of Android 12 available, since it’s already been a year anyway.

To be honest, I’m a bit disappointed (though overall very happy with my FB), since dynamic colors were the main feature I was looking forward to in Android 12. Oh well, back to waiting for Android 13 then I suppose.

3 Likes

My phone updated to Android 12 and ever since it’s been having a very ugly and hard to look at pastel blue acxent color. I tried to look up how to change it, but all tutorials told me to go to a setting called, " Wallpapers & Styles" which doesn’t exist on my phone.

Does anyone know how to change this godawful accent color?

1 Like

Its 12 not 12L
Only possible by changing wallpaper with another color

5 Likes

That is not completely right.
Material You is default in A12, in googles pixels A12, but not in AOSP A12, which is probably what FPOS is based on.

To clarify: It’s available in 12L ??

1 Like

Hello !
Just a quick question,
Does it change if we install lineage OS instead of FPOS ?
Do we have more customisation options ?