Maru OS - Android-Debian convertible

Very interesting, I haven’t heard about it before, but just stumbled over an article about an operating system (in development) that is a convertible for Android based smartphones. It currently bases on Andoid 5.1, but connected to display & other peripherals turns into a debian based desktop system.

For me as a Debian user this sounds just too perfect :slightly_smiling:

So far it is only available as a beta version for Nexus 5.

But that would be definitely something I would be interested if further advanced.
As far as I know there are already some Debian packages ported for the ARM architecture, which can be used for example through Lil’ Debi (another interesting project, bringing Debian to your smartphone), such as for example Libre Office or Thunderbird.

Anyhow, Maru OS is definitely something that sounds super exciting to me and if it was available for my FP2 I’d immediately try it out! :smiley:

13 Likes

Maru is a new kind of computing experience. It gives you a single, context-aware device that makes personal computing really simple. And guess what? That device is your smartphone.

Latest news:
http://blog.maruos.com/2016/02/11/maru-is-open-source/

2 Likes

This seems to be the perfect ROM for me - hopefully someone ports this ROM for Fairphone 2

2 Likes

Sounds very interesting.
As i understand is the basic OS android and the ‘debian? Linux’ an ‘app’?
So may be it should also work on the openSource Fairphone2 android?
Is the USB port on the Fairphone2 ready for this?

Indeed this seems interresting…
Development of MaruOS is ongoing, it reached version v0.3 a couple days ago :slight_smile:

Fairphone2 is not yet in the list of device port, hopefully someone will propose himself :wink:

4 Likes

hopefully someone will propose himself :wink:

Or herself. :wink:

Does anyone know something new about this project? Seems that maruOS is still on version 0.3 and that there hasn’t been progress (also no commits in the last month on Github)…

1 Like

MaruOS is now on 0.6, which features Oreo 8.1.0 based on LineageOS and wireless desktop streaming!!! :raised_hands: https://maruos.com/blog/2019/announcing-maru-0.6-okinawa.html

This means that MaruOS is finally also accessible for the FP2 hardware. And since it is based on LineageOS I imagine that porting MaruOS is not too hard for our community devs. What do you think, @z3ntu @chrmhoffmann?

5 Likes

Hi,

But they say that there are hardware requirements for devices to be compatible with Maru: SlimPort or MHL for connecting to an external HDMI display. Does the FP2 support MHL? :thinking:

If I understood that article correctly, those used to be the requirements:

I am very happy to say that we have a number of key improvements in this release that completely remove these requirements, laying the foundation to run Maru on nearly any Android device

2 Likes

Emphasis on wireless, which was not possible before. :innocent:

Okay, I should keep reading. :grimacing:

“In Maru 0.6 Okinawa, the game completely changes. I am very happy to say that we have a number of key improvements in this release that completely remove these requirements, laying the foundation to run Maru on nearly any Android device.”

I wonder if that works better than with Ubuntu Touch. Wireless desktops streaming there seems to work only for the Microsoft Wireless Display adapter well enough.

Do I understand it well that we can connect FP2 via

to any monitor?
I am looking for longer time for such device.

Yes, any Miracast device would do.
The MS adapter I was referring to needs one HDMI port and one USB for power.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.