Low quality audio with bluetooth headset during phonecalls (+whatsapp calls)

What did you expect? HiFi sound?

Iā€™m just trying to find an explanation to the problem some people face in this thread.
What Iā€™m saying is: it is normal to have a low quality audio when using the microphone on a bluetooth device.

Audio through cellular network has always been bad, but it can seem weird when using Discord for example. Audio through Discord is great when using a wired headset.

2 Likes

I think you should get a better Bluetooth headset. What you describe sounds like your Bluetooth microphone delivers poor voice recording/faulty codec supportā€¦

This thread was opened months ago, meanwhile some bugs have been ironed out. Which software version do you currently use?

Android 10, Security lev 5 march21, kernel 4.9.218-perf+
build 8901.3.A.0101.20210420

Wellā€¦why would I ? This headset worked just fine with my previous Samsung, the difference is so blatant (and makes it essentially unusable with my FP3)

The idea behind buying a FP3 is trying to escape (somewhat) from programmed obsolescence and avoid bying stuff over and over again :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I was replying to @Sideness in this regard, you have a different issueā€¦

Even though I opened this thread months ago, the issue is still ongoing. Even with having installed every update that fairphone has had to offer.

I have tested different headsets, with no change. This specific headset has worked perfectly on all other phones I have tested it. I also have 2 of the same head, both with the same end results on all devices, all other devices work except my fairphone 3.

The sound quality is a lot poorer than using just the phone, in ordinary phone calls, so no, it is not reverting the quality down to phone call levels.

The issue is also in hi-fi sound quality apps, like Discord, WhatsApp, and Signal.
No, I donā€™t see it as reasonable to purchase a new headset (2 headsets for my use), just because of faulty software in my phone. Fairphone should look into this and fix it, instead of giving me more and more troubleshooting instructions of which I have already done 99%.
If it is the HFP/A2DP issue, that definetely sounds like an issue/unwanted feature that should be easy to fix within the phone software.

I thank everyone who has attempted to help with this solution. It is also warming to hear that I am indeed not the only one with this issue. I plead for the others with the same issue to raise this as a ticket so that the issue will have more weight to it. And of course I will continue to push this with them myself.

3 Likes

So that rules out a headset problem most likely.

So why would you even consider that after your previous testing with other headsets?

The problem is that Fairphone canā€™t look into it unless they buy the same headphone set that you have, yet you say other headsets are as bad. So it looks like you may have to return the phone, as the low volume and echo issues that were prevalent have been resolved via the last update, according to other posts on this forum.

Then is come down to the HFP/A2DP issue. Have Fairphone clarified the bluetooth profile the FP3 uses with reference to some common understanding as in

As for the troubleshooting ~ I gave up after 4 months on trying to sort a battery charging issue as communicating with support was too stressful :frowning:

2 Likes

Well, Iā€™m not. As I responded here. A rather unhelpful comment Iā€™d say. :wink:

I have no idea about the bluetooth profiles.

I am now waiting on a response to the reopening of the ticket.
I just had a hardware issue fixed by them changing my mother board, that and the factory reset connected to it also did not fix this issue.

1 Like

Huh! This is precisely the issue they had to fix with a new mother board, I mentioned above.

1 Like

Something better than a crackling and breaking output audio. The quality is not even comparable to an ordinary phonecall.
Also this is also not fixed for whatsapp or other apps, such as Signal.

Both my daughter and I have no problem with WhatsApp or Signal since the last update, and it was only low vol and echo, not poor quality audio.

To clarify ~ is it working fine without the headset on hands free?
and can you play stereo via a bluetooth speaker setup. I have no problem with good stereo through my speakers.

So ~ it doesnā€™t seem like a software issue ??? Maybe somthing as simple as an antenna poor connection.

HFP/A2DP are respectively mono and stereo profiles and the stereo works fine.

1 Like

Regarding your case, I think the best shot available is to ask a friend to use your headset with his/her device, and compare qualities to each other. (The other device should not be a Fairphoneā€¦) If there is a notable difference, I would rule out a headset issue of courseā€¦

1 Like

Hello,
I have the Huawei FreeBuds 3i and the call quality is not great (people complaining on the other side as well).

After some digging, I understood it to be a codec problem, as some said already in this topic (that is: HFP). Looks like we need aptX to have good quality with calls on Android (even worse, there are many flavors of aptX and not all of them seem to support HD calls).

Then I read this:

So, in conclusion, if my understanding of the issue is correct, good quality calls with FP3 and bluetooth are not something we can have right now, but they may be added by a software update (depending on your headset model).

Please tell me that Iā€™m wrong :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Referring to the link just provided.

I can confirm the FP3+ which I bought in Oct 2020 does pair with my Marley Bag of Riddim 2 using A2DP v2 . Perfect stereo, well as good as digital can be for me, but this is one way.

The Huawei you mention also uses A2DP with codecs AAC and SBC which is exactly the same as my daughters Bose On-ear and she has no problem ??

You may like to read this,

1 Like

Thanks for the link, it looks very interesting, I will read it throughly :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve no particular complain about sound quality for videos/podcasts/music.
Voice quality is my problem, mostly when using Zoom/Teams. It sounds like grandma landline, which is definitely not the result I would expect (and not what I get using wired headphones)

2 Likes

Yeah it works fine on any media on speaker or phone on ear. It also works perfectly fine while listening to any other media, music/podcasts/media files from whatsapp. It is only calls, normal calls / whatsapp calls etc. when through the Bluetooth headset.

1 Like

and @SillyWombat Out of curiosity is it just people canā€™t hear you well ~ i.e. from your mic or your reception and canā€™t hear them well ~ i.e. your ear piece, or both?