Locked out of FP3 w/ password protection (openlauncher & simplekeyboard)

Hi dear fairphone community!
I am currently locked out of my phone, so any help would be much appreciated. I’ve been using me FP3 for quite a while, but only recently switched from swipe to unlock to password. I had no issued for the first few days until I rebooted my FP3. When I swipe to enter the password, I am presented with a line and a blinking cursor, but no keyboard to type. I use openlauncher and simplekeyboard and assume, that that specific constellation only calls the keyboard later in the startup process (?)
What I’ve tried: I tried connecting via adb, but adb tells me adb: no devices/emulators found I assume smart me turned off usb debugging.
I am running the stock rom, all updates installed. The device is not rooted, in developer mode and not signed into a google account.
Obviously, I would prefer a solution that would unlock the phone, but anything important is backed up, so a hard reset/flash would be ok, but I have no idea how to go about either in with the FP3 in this state.
Again, any pointers would much appreciated.
Many thanks!
N

Edit: added info

Welcome to our community! :slight_smile:

You can find instructions how to enter recovery mode (which offers you a hard reset option) here:

1 Like

I use Hacker’s keyboard and it works well (on my FP2). I don’t think that specific constellation is a problem.
Perhaps you didn’t set Simplekeyboard as your default keyboard?
Don’t you have a little keyboard icon somewhere that should allow you to choose which keyboard use (for me next to the line with the cursor)?
A very dumb question: By any chance, tapping on the “line” doesn’t make the keyboard appear (I suppose you already tried but we never know)?

Hi alex21,
thank you for your reply.
Simplekeyboard is definitely set as the default keyboard. No keyboard icon is visible. I’ve tapped on the line (and everywhere else on the screen) to no avail.
Best,
N

1 Like

Hi urs_lesse,
thank you for the welcome and for pointing me to this guide! (I guess I could have found this myself and hope my failing to do so is not understood as me delegating my own work to the community but rather as a symptom of the fact that I would rather not bite this bullet.)
Best,
N

Apparently alternative keyboards only load after the device is initially unlocked (at least by default). This is not possible on my FP3 because I deactivated the default keyboard altogether. Someone experiencing the same issue might want to try an external keyboard. As I would only have that option two days from now, I’ll opt for the hard reset (and give the e rom a spin while I’m at it). Many thanks again @urs_lesse and @Alex.A!
Best,
N

1 Like

On the Fairphone 3 it is a known problem …

3 Likes