Location based profile apps not working on FP2

Maybe only the location detected by the cell towers doesn’t work. The location detected by the phones location-service based on A-GPS/Wi-Fi-database is working fine because it’s used by all the apps with location based functions?!

1 Like

You’re right, I forgot about this one… And indeed, Tasker does start…

Thanks for the reminder!

Location detection works fine in energy saving mode. At least with Google maps, camera, here maps, … :wink:

hooray, I think I found it :relieved:
I digged a little bit around in my Llama settings. I found “Android Postitionsbestimmung” under “Versuchslabor” and activated it - it seems to work. At least Llama instantly finds new cells and updates its area information. Let’s see if this solves the problem. If so I guess the Llama location service uses a depricated API.
I don’t know the english terms for these menu items, most probably “Experimental” and “Use Android location service”? Here are some screenshots to make thins clear:

1 Like

Can you add the position to a region? I only get a white screen

Edit: I see, there’s a plugin necessary. Now I can select the location, but it doesn’t save it…

Judging from your previous description of how Llama is supposed to work and the description of this setting, I’d say that there are still no cell towers found.

Do I understand correctly? The normal way for Llama to get a position is by circumventing the built in (to Android) position service (offered by Google) and decide whether you are in your home region by comparing IDs of cell towers in range.

The “experimental” positioning is different: It clearly says that it now does use the position service built in to Android. That means it doesn’t look for cell tower IDs anymore but relies on the position given by Google (based on stuff like WiFi networks, cell towers, GPS, … whatever is available to Android).

Your solution solves the problem from a usage perspective but does not seem to fix the underlying problem that Llama is not able to see cell tower IDs on your phone.

Yes, this is a work around. Llama can’t get information from cell towers. If you activate debug, you’ll see “cell poll proximity timeout”. Every five minutes or so

Indeed, I was too optimistic. Llama just detected a different cell ID then before but still it does not find the right IDs. The IDs provided by Llama can not be found in the openCellID-database - so obviously something’s messed up here. Still trying to find out if this is a general Android issue or a FP2 issue.

Regarding the “Android location service” under Llama:

Thanks to lklaus I found the plugin needed and it worked for me as soon as I deleted all cell IDs for my areas and chose two points for “work” and two points for “home”. “It worked for me” in this case means that the location was saved and it shows up under the area tab saying “two points defined on map”.

Let’s see if I’m still happy tomorrow :wink:

Btw: The addon mentioned before is called ‘Map addon for Llama’?

Yes, that’s it. From kebabapps

I saw your response while trying to find the solution to cell id issues. Would the workaround you mentioned not consume more battery, since it’s location and not cell ID based? I had a Nexus 5X and the Cell ID detection was working on that. Not been able to figure out how to fix this on Moto G with Lollipop.

With the recent updates it should be a non issue. In fact, I’m using Tasker with cell ids for a long time now

Sorry for gravedigging into an old topic, but which update are you referring to? My Fairphone 2 should have the latest updates (I bought it at the start of this year), I’m running FP Open 16.12.0 and I still have the same problem described in this topic…

This was long before 16.12. Did you already try some app and fail? Or it out just a question for being prepared?

I tried both llama (which I had been using on my previous phone) and now I’m using automagic. LLama reports only a single cell, even if I travel a long distance.

FP Open comes without Satelite and Wifi Location Services. I don’t know if the Apps you are talking about can work without those.
Try downloading and configuring microg UnifiedNLP + backends and see if that helps.

I dropped llama, because of problems (needed an additional llama plugin, for cell locating) and switched to Tasker. Was the right decision. I did many things with llama on my former phone, but Tasker is way more powerful (which naturally includes a learning curve, but there are great groups for help). Also, llama seems to be unmaintained. At least last time i looked

Try downloading and configuring microg UnifiedNLP1 + backends and see if that helps.

I have those configured and, at least for the Automagic trial app, I’m able to use the network location from those providers so that’s a viable workaround. Still, based on lklaus’ post from half a year ago, I thought there was an update that could fix this.

I dropped llama, because of problems (needed an additional llama plugin, for cell locating) and switched to Tasker. Was the right decision. I did many things with llama on my former phone, but Tasker is way more powerful (which naturally includes a learning curve, but there are great groups for help).

I also removed llama and am now testing automagic, for similar reasons. However, I don’t intend to install the Google Mobile Services or the Google Play client on my phone. Does the paid version of tasker work without those, e.g. if I download it with Raccoon? The developer no longer offers the direct-purchase version according to this faq.

Sorry, can’t say anything definitive. As i need to use Google services (push), i also can use the “standard” way to get that app. At the cost of added complexity with xposed/xprivacy and also some added appopsxposed. Really funny, where Google maps locates me :wink: