Living without Google 2.0 - A Google free FP2

Ah you’re referring to the ”proprietary Enterprise Edition with additional features" (cited from the Wikipedia article").

Since we are talking about living without google and its proprietary services and software, this difference is important in my opinion.

I personally don’t have an issue when a company is providing commercial add-ons to a an open source product. Probably without Owncloud Inc. Own-/Nextcloud wouldn’t have been started or got as far at all. I’m working for money myself.

I believe on free software where free means freedom and not gratis. However, I’m not against paying for free software, but I’m against proprietary software gratis or paid version. I agree with this point of view.

I don’t know, if anybody mentioned this already: Signal should finally work without Google Play Services now. I’ll switch off microG’s device check-in and (microG’s) Google Cloud Messaging within the next days to try it.

8 Likes

Hi everyone, quick update! So I got my new refurbished fairphone and installed FPOOS without any issue. I installed whatsapp (from their website) and instagram, facebook lite and messenger lite from yalp store, and they have all been working flawlessly so far, as well as the vodafone app. Seems that so far so good! Thank you all for your help :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello to all, I don’t know if I should open a new topic or just continue here.
I am quite a new owner of a FP2, and I am definitely new in trying to initiate a “life without Google” and all his big friends. Therefore I’m having 2 questions that may be obvious for you guys but I need to start somewhere…

1. I already started to use my phone with all the pre-features, and I am really annoyed by this automatic synchronisation and spying thing from Google and co. I just want to get rid of the who-ole thing ! In the same time I am a beginner, so I’m wondering if I really have to re-set the whole phone to start with (= erase all what is there - I fear taking the risk to do something wrong, and to see my phone not usable anymore), or is it possible to replace the apps one by one, so that I can get used to the alternative apps little by little? Like I start with downloading Mozilla and deleting Google search ; next I download K-9 mail and erase the standard e-mail client, etc…
  2. How can I synchronise K-9 mail and another e-mail client on my laptop (e.g. Thunderbird…), if this is ever possible??
    Thanks in advance !!

K9-Mail10 is my email client and I have a riseup.net24 (FOSS, anti NSA, non-profit) email address.

Hello Paul, how can you synchronise K-9 Mail with the e-mail client on your computer (e.g. Thunderbird), if using a POP3 configuration? (due to storage limitation of riseup.net)
Thank you !

1 Like

With POP3 configuration you download the messages to your computer.
If you setup K-9 Mail on your phone you get the messages straight from the server.
So there is no synchronise with your computer.
With POP3 configuration messages that you already have read on your computer will show as unread on your phone. This is how POP3 works.

If you want to use your phone without Google, have a read switch to open os now-why-how

2 Likes

Just use IMAP (and not POP3) on both clients. When you first setup your email client (and it asks for your account data), you can choose between POP3 and IMAP. If you want to switch afterwards, you have to add a new account with IMAP into your client, move the emails from the POP3 account into the IMAP account and delete the POP3 account.

Please note that IMAP will really sync your email. So check your webmail for any unwanted auto-deletes (which would be synced to your other clients as well). Regularly backing up your emails is the best solution against any unwanted data loss.

And note that IMAP will keep all emails on the server, so you will need enough space on the server. (Most e-mail providers will give you many gigabytes of space, so this is not a problem unless you get very numerous or large e-mails or save many years of correspondence on it. You can look at your webmail how much space you use.)

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Tofra for your answer. Indeed IMAP is the 1st solution, but precisely I’d like to know if there is a trick while using POP3 (because my current e-mail account is almost full, and also I intend to open a new address with riseup.net or something similar). Maybe it is just not possible, but I’ve read around that some other Fairphoners here use riseup and K-9 mail on their phone, I guess they also want to synchronise with their computer, though there is not enough space on alternative email providers to use IMAP on the long-term… If there is anyone here who has a solution to this, let me know !
Thank you…

In my knowledge, there is no other solution than IMAP to keep the e-mails synchronized (if you want to synchronize folders, read/unread states and deletion states; with POP3, you will always get every e-mail twice as unread into the inbox).

So the only answers would be “move your e-mails away from the server, into a local-only archive folder”, “forward your e-mail to a bigger mailbox” or “do not use synchronization at all”.

Thanks a lot !
Another very simple solution would be to synchronise with IMAP as you said, and once in a while to delete my emails directly at the server level, when I can see there is a lack of space… Right?

1 Like

Exactly this was meant with my sentence “move your e-mails away from the server, into a local-only archive folder”.

1 Like

OK, thank you Tofra ! :relaxed:

2 Likes

By the way, anyone here who would be happy to send me an invite for opening an account on riseup.net?
I’ve been looking for this but it is quite difficult to find…
Thank you in advance !

2 Likes

Yes me too! @Leti974 if you manage to get invited would you be so kind and pass it forward to me?

On a different note I also have a question regarding e-mails. I switched to FP Open OS and found that in general most apps I use/need work flawlessly without google services. Some don’t send push notifications anymore, but that’s also ok cause it means I end up checking them when I want to and not when they want me to :wink: The only Gapp I’m really missing is google maps, I just can’t take the same use out of OsmAnd~, but maybe I still just need to get used to it. I also can use gmaps on the browser if I really need to.

But back to mails, I tried using K-9 for a while but I really don’t like it. The layout is confusing, I missed a couple important e-mails, and from a personal level I’d like to change it. I am using the outlook app at the moment as I have an outlook account, but I wanted to ask two things:

1 - Isn’t it the same, in the end, to have a microsoft proprietary app on my phone than a google one? Is Microsoft known for collecting user data as much as google?

2 - Is there any other free and good e-mail client except for K9?

Thank you in advance for your replies :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,
Have you tried the AOSP email client (= the stock android app that comes with open OS)? I use both K-9 and the AOSP app for 2 different email addesses and I must say that I find the AOSP simpler and easier to use (for a standard use, I am sure that it has limitations that explain why many users prefer K-9).

3 Likes

What are you missing or trying to do? Perhaps we can help …

If you could elaborate what confuses you, I’d be willing to help. Personally I love K-9 because it has nearly all features of a true desktop email client.

And if you want to know what Microsoft does with your emails, check their terms of service.

2 Likes

Google Maps works pretty well in the browser, if that helps.

Yes, I would say so.

Not one I know of, sadly.

2 Likes

@AnotherElk, @StephanK and @ben thank you so much for your replies. So here the points:

OsmAnd: It takes a really long time to load the map if I move city or even neighbourhood, I cannot enter a street AND a number for an address, it only lets me choose a crossroads on that street (which I don’t necessarily know most of the times), and when looking for something that isn’t a precise address (such as a restaurant, or a touristic site) it often doesn’t find it and gives me completely unrelated results (e.g. a bar with the same name but 300 km away). I just find it slow and difficult to use in general, and find myself needing to use google maps on the browser more often than not.

K-9 Mail: I actually took some time to explore and try the many different settings and I think I managed to change most of the settings I was unsatisfied with. I’ll use it with the new settings for a while, maybe I solved the issue.

Thank you guys a lot again for your availability to help :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed, OSMAnd is relatively slow. Maybe because it runs completely locally and has to churn through huge maps - the full data sets of OSM. I can understand your problem with house numbers, although this was better in earlier versions, I think. It won’t become any better performance wise, I guess.

2 Likes