In the last few weeks dk1978 and me was working on porting LOS16 for FP3. Now we reached a milestone: LOS boots up completely and UI is working
So I wanted to create this topic to give you the current status and motivate/invite people to join development
Why completely porting LOS for FP3, there is the GSI version which works fine?
Well, that’s true. But GSI for LOS16 is not maintained anymore, what means there will be no updates. Also it depends very much on the base system (boot and vendor partition) of the stock firmware. With an own configuration for building LOS for FP3, updates could be built and provided much more easy. Also more code and configuration would be under community control. It could even be the base for LOS17 or later and other custom roms.
What works so far?
These are the things known to work so far:
- LOS boots up completely
- adb is fully functional
- logcat can be used to retrieve log messages
- shell to open a console on device
- UI with display and touch
- LED and brightness control with light sensor
What doesn’t work so far?
These things are known not to work or are simply untested:
- Storage encryption
- SELinux in enforcing mode
What is left to be done?
There are a lot of things that needs to be investigated, solved and tested:
- Getting all non-working stuff done of course
- Flashing LOS with TWRP from k4y0z
- Clean up and remove remaining Motorola stuff (it’s based on the G7 config)
- Removing more proprietary binaries
- Some libraries and stuff is still copied from the stock firmware
- Should be replaced by building as much from sources as possible
- Required configs can be maintained in the device repo
- Some stuff like firmware files will always come from stock firmware of course
Where can the sources be found?
My repo with the device configuration can be found on Github.
dk1978’s repo is here.
We tried to maintained required steps and information for building in the readme file.
How to communicate for development?
One proposal would be to use an IRC channel #fairphone3 on freenode (which is also used by the LOS team). But I’m also open to other suggestions.
Files for testing:
As always ensure you have a working backup before flashing anything.
These files are completely work-in-progress and may break your device if you don’t know what you do.
Archive with image files to flash with fastboot:
Package as created from LOS build system. This should be flashable via TWRP, however this is completely untested. Feel free to try it.
2020-03-24T23:00:00Z Got Wi-Fi running.
2020-03-29T22:00:00Z Add files for testing.
2020-03-30T22:00:00Z NFC is working