Lineage 17.1 - FP2

It’s a sporadic issue I’d say. I turn off mobile data during the night and I think it’s disabled automatically when WLAN is used. So when coming from these states in some rare cases the mobile data won’t turn on again and only a reboot helps. Also in some rare cases the phone won’t connect to the available WLAN (2.4 GHz) although it sees them. But this is an issue that I used to have with FPOS already, too. The number of spontaneous reboots has increased after changing from FPOS to LOS 17.1. So sometimes I’m doing something totally normal, like browsing the web, then the phone gets stuck for a few seconds, then it reboots. Usually that does not happen while the phone is in standby. But here again: The frequency of this has increased from almost never to ~once per week or so. SMS tend to not be received/shown automatically if in power save mode, I found out. You have to open the messages app to find them. But all in all I really think that it is rather safe to use LOS 17.1 as a daily driver.

3 Likes

I am really close to throwing my FP2 against the next wall because it has gotten soooooo sloooooooow… running the 18/09 build here. I think I did a clean install in june or something.
Am I the only one with performance issues? How can I find out what is causing my system to lag so much?

I cannot verify this.

Why not check out the latest from today? Just give it a try, maybe it helps.

@Alex.A I have not experienced the “not connected issue” on my FP2 either for about one week.

1 Like

I have not experienced it for a week exactly, and then saturday it happened again, sunday as well, and today. It seems that the LOS updates stop the issue for about a week and then it starts again, I’ll have to do more tests with further updates (I’ll try to update to the latest build, I haven’t done this yet to do more tests about my hypothesis). Could you try not updating for 2 weeks and report if the issue appears again?
I’m currently on my backup FP2 and I’m planning to pass on my main one on which I installed /e/ (because I want to give it a try). But before I’ll try to find a pattern if possible, the problem really seems to appear randomly, and I don’t get what could trigger it. I’ll keep the backup FP2 for beta/tests purposes.

1 Like

I haven’t had the “not connected” issue for the last week either, but it does seem to be random for me too.

I have had another issue though. When the phone rings, sometimes (maybe half the time?) the screen freezes and I can’t pick up. After a minute or so, I get a message saying that “Phone isn’t responding”, then I can “Close App” and the phone is back to normal. Does anyone else have this?

1 Like

Now I’m on 20201009, but unfortunately this old issue is still alive. Just for me or can someone confirm?

Can confirm. I think it just wasn’t fixed.

Updated today and can confirm the issue still exists on 20201009.

Are you moving to a different location on weekends?

I applied the latest update yesterday, so far it works very well. But of course I can leave the OS as is for two weeks. As soon as the failure occurs again, I will let you know.

1 Like

No. I mostly stay home, and I have my phone connected both to wifi and to mobile data nearly permanently, maybe this could be the cause (though my phone stays connected to wifi and mobile data overnight as well, so…).

1 Like

Do you use a custom dialer app? I have not observed this behaviour a single time. Maybe it could be due to full memory or CPU?

1 Like

Hi, I have similar experiences myself, most of the time it is reasonably fast, but once in a while the phone more or less freezes completely. Feels like some SW is caught in a loop and uses all the phones power, occasionally this results in a crashed app (usually different ones, so not one single perpetrator).
Restart sometimes solves it.

I am running OpenGapps Nano (tried micro in april-june but realized I dont need all those apps so I went with the smaller package)

Guys, my FP2 is broken and I got a new one. I want to install Lineage on it but I don’t want the 17 (the 4G bug drove me crazy to heights I don’t to go back into…).
I had downloaded the latest Lineage 16 … but it’s on the broken FP2 :frowning: and I can’t find it anymore on https://download.lineageos.org/FP2

Does anyone know where I can download it again?

Thanks!

Thanks for the message.

I’m using the standard dialer (com.android.dialer). I’ve also experienced similar frozen screens in some apps, specifically I remember it happening while using the WhatsApp and Wikipedia apps (maybe once/twice a week?). Sometimes I’ll be scrolling through something and the screen will start to stutter, with the left half of the screen lagging behind by a fraction of a second. Most of the time it’s fine, but sometimes the phone will freeze. Next time I have another camera to hand I’ll take a literal screenshot :slight_smile: .

I suppose it could be a memory issue. I’ve checked the memory in the developer options and it seems to read 1.1-1.2 GB used. I’ll keep an eye on that next time it happens.

What app can I use to keep an eye on CPU usage?

@Matthieu

You can download my latest version from here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7yvxgu0w9et42nb/lineage-16.0-20200309-nightly-FP2-signed.zip?dl=1

SHA256: 03679d824e19502349f26f7eba9923fc3c936a32da7d3386fc871fbf8ed8123b
Please check the integrity via sign key.

1 Like

Thanks you @thc! I just flashed it :slight_smile:

Do you compile those yourself or you just kept a kind of mirror on your Dropbox?

Just a kind of mirror.

1 Like

I use termux as terminal app.

1 Like

Ok, updated to the newest build and it’s still horrifyingly slow.
Is there any way to identify if there is any app in the background slowing everything down?