Lineage 17.1 - FP2

I am still a little bit afraid, but I hope, you are right. I will try it in the next days and then report.

A more gentle approach to check the phone is the Checkup app from Fairphone, although I have not used it, yet. It can be obtained from the F-Droid store.

1 Like

Here is your answer :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ah, I am sorry for not reading this. Thanks a lot!

I am using the better (12 MP) camera, it works quite well with LineageOS. One thing I remember was: When I bought a used FP2 and flashed LineageOS on it, I realized that the camera did not work. (A black screen ond a message named “media server crashed” occured.) I opened the phone and saw that the three screws that tighten the camera module to the core unit were a bit loose, not that much, but obviously it had an impact on functionality. I gently lifted the screws and tightened them again with a screwdriver. (Caution, the screws are very tiny, you have to find the right mix between tightening the screws as good as possible and not using too much force, otherwise you might damage the screws!)

It looks like some kind of design flaw, because that seems to happen quite often with the camera module. The screws are quite fragile, I think their dimension should be slightly bigger to avoid loosening.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, DeepSea and alex21! (And all others please excuse me for starting this OT!)

I have already disassembled my FP2, cleaned all connectors of the camera module and the display (all on both sides) with a lint-free cloth and reassembled it. I have done all very carefully. No result.

Hope, I will have enough time in one of the next days to remove the top module, run the phone and see what will happen.

1 Like

Now I ran the phone without the top module. Here is the result (tried to translate it from german to english):

Open Camera:
“Mistake while opening the camera. Camera maybe is in use of another application?”
(German: Fehler beim Öffnen der Kamera. Kamera vielleicht in Benutzung von einer anderen Anwendung?)

Stock camera app:
It exits immediately after launching without an error message.

Barcode Scanner (F-Droid):
“Unfortunately, with the Android camera a mistake has appeared. It could be that you must restart the device.”
(German: Mit der Android-Kamera ist leider ein Fehler aufgetreten. Es könnte sein, dass Sie das Gerät neu starten müssen.)

What does this mean?

This usually happens when the hardware isn’t detected I would think. I had exactly the same messages when I had started my phone without the camera. Perhaps try to start yours without the camera module as well, and see if you get the same messages.
You’re sure it isn’t a problem with your module? You tried another one? It would really be Lineage? (Well if you downgraded to older versions I suppose, but it seems strange) Perhaps you could try installing another OS?
Perhaps open a new topic as it seems to be a specific problem ane not really related to Lineage.

When you had the same messages when you ran your phone without the camera module, I think removing the camera module of my phone wouldn’t change anything. All three tested apps use the selfie camera, as if it would be the main camera and the real main camera wouldn’t exist

I don’t know if this problem is conditioned by Lineage or some hardware. I have an old camera module (first version). I think about testing the phone with it and about opening a new topic (to end this OT) after. Or I will buy an new camera module and hope that it will work properly.

Thank you so far!

1 Like

Your description fits perfectly to a camera hardware failure scenario, I had exactly the same issue with my camera. I would suggest to disassemble the phone and check the camera screws, unfortunately their dimensions should be a little bigger. Loosen the screws and tighten them again VERY carefully, do use only light force to avoid damaging the screws. Although someone cannot see a difference from the outside, this really worked with my FP2, and since then I have been able to use the camera successfully!

2 Likes

I have loosen the screws and retightend them just a little, but there was no alteration.
Then I have removed the camera module, with the same result.
After that I have installed the old camera module (with the lower resolution) and that works fine.

So it looks like my camera module is damaged.
But I still wonder why there is no error message and Lineage seem to simply redirect all apps to the selfie camera stealthy.
Now I will order a new camera module and hope that it will work properly.

EDIT:
I just wanted to order a new one, but the 12MP camera is out of stock!

1 Like

Hi, I installed an app - and the error message is:
“API: Internal FirebaseAuth. FIREBASE_AUTH_API is not available.”
How can I install this? Do I have to use GAPPS? Was hoping to avoid this.

Did you install an app or have you tried to install it? Which one?

FirebaseAuth is the Google authentication service, so I guess it needs the GApps (or at least microG).

1 Like

Now I can confirm that both the camera and the torch don’t work. Only difference to before: I removed the SIM card. Annoyingly I’m in a place where I don’t want my SIM card to connect to a local carrier at any chance.

I recognized, that when I choose to save pictures on the SD Card the stock camera app saves the pictures at Android/data/org.lineageos.snap/files.
Not at the DCIM folder.
And when I want to open the folder from within in the camera app it still opens the folder at the internal storage.
Can anyone confirm this two points?

Yes I tried. I confirm both points.

1 Like

This morning just a restart after deactivating the flight mode to get LTE activated. :frowning: That is annoying!
So the problem is still not solved or the Fairphone is just junk.

Steven

I can reproduce the problem that data connection (4G) doesn’t come back after flight mode.
It seems to be random problem, as it works from time to time for me (but most often it does not).

I have no clue how to fix it - asking around…

Chris

7 Likes

It is not your fault. :slight_smile:
Somehow there seems to be an incompatibility with the FP2 and Android 10.

Otherwise, very good work on your part @chrmhoffmann

Steven

1 Like

May I point people interested in LOS 17.1 who are capable of building the ROM to Has anyone tried Seedvault backup with Lineage 17?

My PC just isn’t powerful enough so at the moment I can’t try myself.

1 Like