Lineage-16.0 (Android Pie) Beta

I’ve encrypted the device, and confirm all that was stated before:

• encryption itself works
  • TWRP 3.3.0.0 (or lower) can’t handle this

So, remains to wait for a solution for this issue.

Does anybody testet Osmand alreday? I realized today, that the voice is missing.
I deleted the sound file from the shutter of the camera because I don’t like the noise when I take a screenshot. I don’t know, if there is a connection between this two things. I already had the problem with LOS15.1 and after installing a update (with all sound files) the problem disappeared. But for me it isn’t a logical connection between deleting one sound file and a TTS which doesn’t work.
So what is your experience? Does TTS work on this build?
(And maybe you have a hint, how to solve my problem?)

Yesterday I upgraded my recently received FP2 on Lineage pie.

Raising Lineage 15. * went smoothly, even if the personal settings (desktop etc) were gone.
As far as I have seen so far, all apps were easily taken. The os is so far liquid.
I noticed that the clock, which is now at the top left, does not show seconds, even if the option (clock -> 3points -> settings -> show time with seconds) is activated.

@chrmhoffmann: is it possible to reactivate this (in one of the next updates)?

gestern habe ich mein kuerzlich erhaltenes FP2 auf lineage pie gehoben.

• vielen Dank @chrmhoffmann
    das anheben von lineage 15.* ging problemlos, auch wenn die persoenlichen einstellungen (desktop etc) weg waren.
    soweit ich das bisher gesehen habe, wurden alle apps problemlos uebernommen. das os laeuft bisher fluessig.
    aufgefallen ist mir, die Uhr, die jetzt links oben steht, zeigt keine Sekunden an, auch wenn die Option (clock -> 3points -> einstellungen -> Zeit mit Sekunden anzeigen) aktiviert ist.

ist es moeglich, dies wieder zu aktivieren (in einer der naechsten updates)

I didn’t test osmand completely, but sound is working for me (i did a clean install, though, and restored from titanium)

1 Like

AFAIK Android 7+ changed how device encryption works from full disk encryption (FDE) to a file based encryption (FBE). I restored an ADB backup yesterday onto my newly received FP2 and it automagically re-established a decryption (I think because the backup was made on an FDE encrypted backup - where TWRP could handle it).
I’m sure I now got a FBE, because I don’t need to enter an encryption pin on boot, which was one of the mentioned benefits I saw in an tech document from Gobble.

So state seems TWRP can’t handle file based encryption on our Fairphones :-/.

FBE: https://source.android.com/security/encryption/file-based
FDE: https://source.android.com/security/encryption/full-disk

1 Like

This was speculation earlier … and still is …

2 Likes

I wanted to install LOS 16 today. I booted to TWRP, did advanced wipe (with everything except SD-card TWICE), but the internal storage was still there will all the apps. I then still flashed LOS16 and su-addon and it rebooted. everything was there as before - only LOS. So this seemed to work, BUT, my old LOS15 problem was there, that Google Maps no longer works. :frowning: For some reason the app always dumps upon opening. So back to FPOOS it is. Sadly.

I don’t think maps works without Gapps

2 Likes

I would expect Google Maps to require basic Google services, e.g. Open GApps pico … did you install them?
Be aware that you would need to install ARM - 9.0 now.

1 Like

Yesterday I faced something similar.
I wanted to start from the beginning, flashing FPOS Android 6.
After wiping all (system, cache, data, internal storage, dalvik), and having flashed the FPOS package, after reboot it directly started, without going through the inital set-up steps (e.g. configuring WLAN, etc).
In another, next try I’ve formatted also data partition, besides wiping all the rest.
Only then the device behaved after like after factory reset, meaning with the first start all was gone, and I was led through the initial configuration procedure.

To GoogleMaps: nope. It runs without problems on FP Open OS (no google installed from my side).
I installed the new arm - (the one with 16.0 in the name).

1 Like

I just had a look at Fairphone Open OS 19.02.1 with Yalp, and you are correct.
Even with Yalp saying Google Maps “uses GSF” (Google Services Framework), it will indeed work without GSF and only nudge you to install Google services when you poke around in the menu.

And I can confirm Maps is closed immediately upon start on LineageOS 15.1.
But without Google services this for me is more expected behaviour than the App working without Google services when the Play Store states it would need them.

Anyway … Google Maps happily works on LineageOS for microG 15.1 … that’s what microG is there for afterall.

ARM - 9.0 refers to the Open GApps packages (9.0 for Android Pie).

I CAN use GoogleMaps on LOS15.1 without any google-services installed (none microG etc.). BUT: sometimes it takes 3-4 program starts (during Maps closes itself immediately) - but since it figured out to start once, it runs perfectly.

Bottom line: It IS POSSIBLE to run Google Maps without any additional Google Services on LOS15.1. BUT: it is still a secret what the random crashes during SOME programm starts result from.
I installed Google Maps v10.3.1 (recent is v10.14.1 - not tested yet) from Yalp Store on LOS 15.1 (weekly 2019-04-10)

Since I did not test LOS16 I can’t tell anything about this.

which minimal installation would I have to choose?

LineageOS for microG is a fork of LineageOS which has microG already robustly built-in. No extra hassle, you just install this instead of regular LineageOS (preferrably with a clean install).

Here’s info … https://lineage.microg.org/
And here’s the install file … FP2
For rooting (or unrooting) the file is the same as for regular LineageOS … LineageOS Downloads

Speaking of microG, is it already possible to use that with @chrmhoffmann 's LineageOS 16 build? That is (if I understand correctly), does it allow for signature spoofing?

If not, would it be possible to change from this build to the microG-fork once that gets updated to 16.0 without too much trouble (like losing all of the data/apps)?

I would expect the migration procedure explained at https://lineage.microg.org section “Migration from LineageOS” - “Dirty install (keep data and installed apps)” to stay in place.

But it’s called “dirty install” for a reason. The safe approach is a clean install.

1 Like

I will try this later. I had bad expieriences with OpenGApps (apps not working…) so to install microG just for GoogleMaps is over the top.
I tried opening the app more than once for at least 2 mins - it always dumped… so that was sadly not an option.

After some runtime (6 days+) my device doesn’t sleep any longer. I don’t know whether it’s device related or induced from the outside (possible), so, does anybody see this effect also?
The wakelock netmgr_wl keeps the device awake, but i don’t see related network activity (BBS).

Also, i have a folder with images from a chat program, where they gallery only shows the new images since installing LOS 16. I checked permissions and SELinux labels, everything is the same. The mediamanager scans this directory, and with the filemanager i can see all images. Any ideas?

Which app do you use for testing the CPU thing? Then I will try it if it isnt to complicated.
I have no problems with the gallery (I use simple gallery).