LegoBoost for Smartphones

Hi!
Christmas question…
The LegoBoost App is going to be available even for smartphones very soon.
Does someone have an understanding if a FP2 is going to be able, strong enough, to drive this App?
Thank you,
Eric.

The Display size might be a problem

required minimal specifications according to Lego:
Hardware
Android tablet with Bluetooth low power technology (BlueTooth 4.1 or higher)
1 GB ram
Dual core processor 1.4 ghz
8” display or larger
Microphone
Speaker
Operating System
Android 5.0 or above

To be more accurate (unfortunately): No, it’s not gonna work!
From the Lego Boost app homepage

I haven’t found any hint, that Lego is going to change this. Should it - although not meeting the requirements - work on the FP2 I would expect it to be no fun to use.
@ericsegol
If you have any source for your information, try inquiring there for more information and please share your info here.

hi!
On their site lego says:
“The LEGO® BOOST App ready on mobile in time for Christmas! Go to www.LEGO.com/devicecheck for more details.”

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Creative-Toolbox-17101

So I guess the developers are working like dogs just now to make it happened for Christmas.
It going to be on IOS and Android. Apparently.
The question is more: Is a FP2 going to be strong enough to drive this App?

You won’t be able to find a reliable answer to this before the app is released for mobile and the required specs for that version of the app will be out and/or someone tested it on the FP2.

2 Likes

Sorry, I just don’t share your hopes.
The devicecheck link leads straight to the one I have started with.

The list of tablets offers compatibility lists for Apple, Android, Kindle and Windows10.
And a tablet is a mobile :wink:
So, they already have reached their goal of Lego Boost mobile for x-mas.
I might be wrong and hope so for you, but really don’t feel like it.

Just checking in Play Store :
“Your device is not compatible with this version”

I grabbed the APK outside play store, installed it, and it doesn’t work either (splash screen displays, then the app exits)

So better go for another present idea :slight_smile:
(PS : do you know about scratch project ? it is also a good way to introduce kids into coding, though screen-based without a physical robot)

1 Like

Anyone tried with BlueStacks?

If I get it right, BlueStacks is meant to get Android Apps running on PCs?
As the LegoBoost App is running on Windows 10 - not on Windows Phones tough -, I would guess, that there’s no need for BlueStacks here.
The tread-opener was especially interested to get it on his mobile phone.

Of course, I only judge and argue from the sideline only, as I don’t even use Lego. Therefore I might be completely misunderstanding and mistaken.

Oh I see.

I thought BlueStacks was crossplatform, but it is Windows-only. Never been a Linux version, and the macOS version was discontinued Nov 2017.

If you are a linux user wanting to run android apps, did you consider to install android-x86 on your machine ?

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.