BTW, there is a new blog post! :wink:

1 Like

https://www.fairphone.com/2015/07/15/fairphone-2-pre-orders-are-now-open/

4 Likes
3 Likes

Tadaa, a new blog post!

2 Likes

I saw it first! :wink:

Fairphone is cooperating with WOLFRAM Bergbau (Link in English) from Austria!!! :smiley: As soon as they can mine conflict-free tungsten from Rwanda, it will be smelted in Austria. Another connection of the Fairphone 2 to my home country (after AT&S producing the PCBs).

1 Like

Didn’t the conflict free minerals in FP1 come from a mass balance traceability sort of system as well? Or at least, I understood that they couldn’t specifically use the fairly source tin and tantalum in the FP1 production line so they injected this tin/tantalum in the existing non-fair stream to offset the use of conflict minerals. The net result would be the same but the actual tin inside your phone can still be from a different source.

That’s how I remember it anyway. Am I wrong? Will try and find some source to cite if necessary.

That’s what Laura says in her blog post, isn’t it? She states that at first CFTI sources their tin in a product segregation model, and now also use a mass balance model. Solutions for hope always used a mass balance model for the tantalum.

Ah OK I wasn’t sure if I understood the blog right

Have you seen this? :slight_smile:

7 Likes

We will also keep exploring ways to increase the longevity of the
Fairphone 1. Possibilities include upgrading to a more recent Android
version, although we would like to manage expectations here as this is
still very much a long shot dependent on cooperation from license holders
and our own resources.

A second path we are exploring is the possibility of replacing the
Android software by alternative operating systems (Ubuntu/Firefox/Jolla)
in an effort to prolong the life of the device (as that software is
more cost-effective to maintain). While we’re still in the exploratory
phases along these tracks, we do hope it’s clear that we’re committed to
supporting our Fairphone 1 owners in the future.

That’s great news! :smiley:

5 Likes

This blog explains why I bought a Fairphone, a company that cares about their product and their customers.
Thank you Fairphone for all your effort in getting the license.

7 Likes

Six boxes of champaigne and tomorrow off for the whole crew in Amsterdam! :clap:

4 Likes

And another software blog! :grinning:

5 Likes

And I have got anotother one :smile:
Title sounds promising…

2 Likes

It is a great post, which gives a nice overview. It paints a holistic picture, something I have missed lately (the latest blog posts were quite specific on only one topic).

Ps: They should do some proofreading before posting the blog posts… :wink:

Edit: My remarks about the typos have been heard: :wink:

3 Likes

And here we go with a new blog post:

@anon90052001: thanks for hearing me with the whish that the newsletters are worth the name by announcing new things, as this is the case this time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

New blog post!

3 Likes

Interesting. I wonder how well this will work with all the Qualcomm SoC stuff and all the NDA/IP things needed to get all the IP protected stuff up and running through APIs. “… and tooled them with the latest development environment to get going.” Too bad nobody talks about this. Is there a dev mailing list? Or is Jolla also pretty closed up on things like this?
It looks like they sell an older Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 with theirs, so porting it would be a win-win for both sides.

But jolla looks non-free, just the underlying system is open. Can someone here explain how it works? I don’t mind if they protect their graphics and stuff, but can one build his own roms easily? And is all the core software open? Or is there some magic that only Jolla controls?

https://jolla.com/sailfish-eula/