Kola Nut 1.8.5 manual update

The launcher introduced in 1.8 won’t come back. We will offer the v2 launcher as a separate download later on for the users who desperately want to use it.

3 Likes

@rick: Thanks for this information. Am I guessing right, that the v2 launcher will be neither maintained nor improved in the future? Will the source code be available?

3 Likes

Hello Tilman,
I have exactly the same problem as you.
In fact, I did the installation steps in the same sequence as you with fp1-zip files and now also have the feeling to be stuck, like in a dead end road. I cannot downgrade to other versions,SDcard is not recognized and appstore doesn’t install correctly.
Maybe our sequence of installing was wrong.(Guess something like that was mentioned above already).Maybe the correct way is: FIRST F1p storage-upgrade and THEN the OS upgrade for the FP1U…right now,I got no idea what to do. Cheers, Chris

• Try to connect your sd-card to your computer. (By taking the sd-card out of your phone and put it in separate usb-connector to your computer).

• Take this file to copy/paste the .zip file (keep it as a .zip file, so do not unzip it!) to your sd-card. You need the file FP1U - Mid-2014 (2nd batch) & FP1 with unified storage because you already preformed the storage update. You only have to apply the storage updater once.

• Put your sd-card back in the phone.

• Restart the phone in Recovery Mode.

• Apply update by going to navigate to the correct folder on your SD card where you put the .zip file.

• After the installation, select “Wipe cache partition”, and wait till you see “Wipe cache complete”.

• Reboot your Fairphone.

Does this v1.8.5 include any security updates which weren’t included in v1.8, or is it just bug fixes?

i think you have to install all the files manually from the internal SD-Card using the recovery mode. For me it did not work with the “FP updater” too and I didnt try to install it from the adb sideload.

I downloaded the files directly with my fairphone (I do not downloaded and copied the files from the PC). If the download folder is not recognized in the recovery mode, you can copy the fils directly to the internal SD card.

Hello Lidwien,

thanks for your detailed instructions.
I did everything like you described it. But as said before, after performing the first update, it’s not possible for me any more to access the internal OR external SD-card from recovery mode.
I stored the zip-file in the main folder of external SD-card (alos via PC) and also of to the internal storage.
-> Recovery mode doesn’t “see” any files.
I also tried other folders of the internal storage(internalsd-card).
-> No luck.
In all attempts, the recovery mode (command: apply update from sdcard) doesn’t show any zip file. The screens looks like this, showing an empty folder:

Android system recovery <3e>
Choose a package to install:
/sdcard

…/

The blue highlight cannot be moved, that means I cannot navigate to other folders.
BEFORE my first update, I could access the EXTERNAL sd-card here.
NOW it seems that the recovery mode does “see” the external card any more (SD card unmounted? how to mount?).

I used the File manager to copy the zip files to other folders on the INTERNAL storage.
Is there any folder, that can be accessed from the recovery mode?
@Yasien: If you say , you have put the files to the internal storage, how did you do this? Did you copy the files to the main folder of the internal storage or is there somewhere a “hidden” folder, which the recovery mode can access?
Summing up, my general problem is, that I can’t navigate nowhere from recovery mode in order to access any zip file.
Thanks a lot for your help!

@Yasien: Where do you exactly store the files on the internal storage? in the main folder? Thanks!

@ChrisCuritibano Can you do a ‘wipe data/factory reset’ in the recovery mode. Reboot, stop, restart the phone and then try the correct update.

Hi Lidwien,
Ok. I just did that.
1.wipedata/factory reset performed
2. reboot of system performed (during start-up process a symbol and text “Preparing SD card” appeared shortly in the upper left corner of the display
3. switched off the phone
4. entered again recovery mode
=> still no access to the external sd-card.

Maybe you should format your SD-card before copying the zip-file there?

Hello Stefan, I also tried that now. I erased the sd card (with the FP function), copied the zip file from the computer to the card. With the FP file manager I can access the sd card w/o problems. But from the recovery mode, I only can see this “empty” folder. no data. no way to navigate.

_____Does this work?

1 Like

I also downloaded the files directly on the phone. By clicking on the zip file it’s also possible to start the update process directly. That’s quite similar as using the FairphoneUpdater-App. But in both cases the installations starts, the phone is restarted, the installations continues (screen with the robot with open front door), but it seems that during the installations process somethings goes wrong or its aborted. The blue status bar showing the installation process rises until ~30% and then suddenly disappears. The process continues some more minutes until the phone starts again. The same happens, when I try to install the googleappstore. Installations starts, but seems not to be finished. (same behaviour as described by Tilman and Yasien above).
Well. Right now, I decided to think about a google-free FP. WhatsApp is the only urgently needed app (which i’ll get by apk download). Till now, the AppStore seems to be the only feature with problems, the rest of the update to Kola Nut 1.8.5 seems to be ok.
Thanks for your hints!

Did you use the right download? There is some confusion about which file to use.
After the storage update you must update to 1.8.5. using the file for the FP1U - Mid-2014 (2nd batch) & FP1 with unified storage.

@ChrisCuritibano: Thanks for your explanations. I am some what relieved to read that I am not the only one with that problem. In fact, it seems that you are experiencing precisely the same problems as I do, e.g. empty sdcard folder in recover mode and rising of the installation bar until approx. 30 % and then abortion of the installation process. Actually when installing using adb sideload, it is stated that the installation is aborted.

@Lidwien: Thanks for your suggestion. I double checked and yes I am certain that I used the correct files, which means that I am using the FP1U files since I installed the storage upgrad.

After several attempts of re-installing 1.6, 1.8.5 and the Google apps, I (temporarily) gave up. I installed some alternative app stores (e.g. amazon and 1Mobile, @ChrisCuritibano which has whatsapp by the way). But of course apps like Gmail do not work and I also did not manage to import my gmail calender yet.

Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. I still hope that a solution will be found.

I think there has been some confusion!

• Assuming you have a FP1 without unified storage: You need to first upgrade to 1.8.5 for FP1 and only then the Unified Storage Upgrade for 1.8.5 will work!
  • Assuming you have applied the Unified Storage Upgrade for 1.6, then you can immediately use the upgrade to 1.8.5 for FP1U.

@ChrisCuritibano Yes, after downloading i copied the files from the “Download folder“ to the main folder of the internal storage with the App “ES Datei Explorer“

Just for information, there is now the new version KolaNut 1.8.5 which is intended to replace KolaNut 1.8 and will be send over the air tomorrow, 19th May 2015.

Some related links:

Cheers, Robert

2 Likes