Keeps asking which launcher to use

Hey. No one has asked for permissions yet. have you given the launcher all the permissions it wants?
I use 1. Smart Launcher Pro (Beta Tester and Alpha), 2. Nova Launcher Pro 7 (Nova 8 with Branch: Kiss my A…), 3. Quichstep in case anything goes wrong. Quickstep has no permissions (it gets them if needed) Nova all, Smart L. all.
I don’t get the request for the default launcher.
My procedure to change a launcher is always via System Settings - Apps & … - Default Apps - Start App then the selection. Never via the app drawer.
I installed the launcher via the Play Store, no third-party providers.
No problems and with Netguard you then have control.

No, sorry, not that one. Didn’t think of that one because I honestly didn’t understand it. I don’t know what gesture navigation is… :thinking: I’ll have to look it up.

Dont worry I assume you dont use it, when you dont know what this is and we have a first feedback, that it did not help, and might even worsen it. Just FYI, you would find it under settings-system-gesture-system navigation

1. Yup (using Niagara now, but it was the same with Nova)
  2. Yes I can change it, but no it asks again upon restart, though this time with Quickstep as the primary suggestion.
  3. I’m not prepared to test this. I’d have to set up Niagara again (unlike Nova it doesn’t have a way to export/import settings). It seems a good bet that it would be stable (why would it ask which launcher to use when there’s only 1?), but we can’t know for sure until someone (maybe someone using Nova) tests it.
  4. Play store. Nova 7. Not Pro. Niagara also via Play store.
2 Likes

I’m using Microsoft Launcher on my Fairphone 3 and got the same problem after the latest Faitphone update. I’ve tried to remove Microsoft Launcher and install it again but the problem is the same. On Fairphone 4 it’s no problem.

2 Likes

Could someone with this problem, who knows how to use adb, please run the following command and post the output :pray:
adb shell "dumpsys role | grep -A 1 android.app.role.HOME"

It would be especially interesting to get the output after changing the default launcher, after a reboot and at the moment the system asks which launcher to use (but before selecting one).

I hope it stays this way for you, but it’s happening on the FP4 as well:

2 Likes

With Nova and no problems

name=android.app.role.HOME
      holders=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

name=android.app.role.HOME
      holders=com.android.launcher3

Same issue here, with ADW Launcher and Android 11, security update June 5, 2022. O am not using guestire control.

I also have the issue but the important thing to note is that my FP3 is still on an older build (8901.4.A.0010, security updates : april 2022) as my phone haven’t yet received the new update via OTA. So it seems like it has nothing to do with the last update.
My phone use Smartlauncher as custom launcher. And I had to manually flash the phone on July to this Android 11 FP build because it did not received this update at the time, and I felt something was wrong. So the phone is pretty much in a “new” state (although I have reinstalled all the apps I had before the reflash).
The issue with the home button prompting for a launcher started this week, around the 15th August.

5 Likes

Could it be related to some underlying subsystem then, like Google Play Services or something?

1 Like

That was also my intuition after sending my message.
I looked for a Google app that would have been installed around the 15th August and it appears Google Phone was a candidate.
I uninstalled it (actually it only removed some updates, the app remained installed) and reinstalled/updated it.
Now I haven’t had the prompt for the launcher for the last 5 hours although I have been clicking on it as often as possible. Hopefully it stays the same after a reboot.

9 Likes

Didn’t help in my case. Uninstalled phone app updates but still get to select launcher now and then.

1 Like

There’s no user option to disable the default Phone app, unless I use ADB, so are you and @VladimirF referring to a different app or using ADB.

Are you both using the same Google Phone app ??? downloaded from ?? same version ?

That Vladimir found the the issue resolved after specific action clearly doesn’t mean that it was a ‘Phone’ update but the process amy have triggered something.

I have the same issue now with KISS launcher on FP3, seemingly started after the last update (with the 5 June security patch). I’m now at build 8901.4.A.0013.4 release-keys. I can’t deactivate the Phone app, but I’ve forced-stoppes it and emptied the cache.
I’m currently on holiday but if the issue persists until when I’m back, I can hook up to ADB.

1 Like

Sorry, I just assumed we were talking about the default phone app, or rather, I assumed the default app was the Google Phone app. But if a recent update to the (default) phone app would have caused the problem, I assume uninstalling updates would have fixed it (which it didn’t).

I doubt the default phone app was updated and I don’t think there is a way uninstall updates.

Re-flashing an older version of the whole OS is possible, but a bit drastic.

Someone who hasn’t updated the OS to the latest maybe able to get the Phone app version number.

Currently the A11 0013.4 uses 74.0.424204618 as does the next update under testing A11 0016.6

Yes, me too. The issue eventually came back yesterday evening :frowning:

1 Like

It does get updated regularly through the play store along with the other google apps, and it isn’t dependant on the OS update.
Unfortunately, it seems it’s something else anyway.

1 Like

Ah! I’ve always had that disabled, so maybe the version I have is an older one :slight_smile:

Just checked. I have the version dated 9th Feb 2022 there are 23 updates since then but no idea which OS update my February version came with.

https://apkpure.com/phone-by-google/com.google.android.dialer/versions

1 Like

Same problem here, if I freeze Quickstep app I lose some features like multitasking, and if I let it enabled, my nova launcher loses randomly its “default launcher” status.

Tried lots of proposed solutions, none worked

1 Like