Keeping your phone longer with a refresh on the inside and out

Understandable point of view, but not neccessarily the only one.
I have to admit, that I never took the time to really dig into Android and the differences between all the new versions. Therefore I really don’t know if it’s essential to have Oreo (Android 8).
What I know from my Windows laptops is, that I am still not on Windows 10, as 7 professional is running smooth and - from the experience on my office computer - 10 really failed to convince me.

I have no idea, what I might be missing, that Oreo could offer me. But then …, if I ain’t missing it, it can not be really worth thinking about. :wink:

That’s why I would state, that Android 7 Nougat will be surely doing fine (even 6 does) and as it will be supported longer than Android 6, it’s in fact a reason Fairphone 2 still can be deemed a worthy smartphone in the market.

4 Likes

Right now nothing… But what about in 3, 4 or 5 years…
I am now running Android 4.4 and there are some apps that i can not install or update anymore since they need a newer Android version… so that is an important point for me… Since the FP models can be easily repaired I am planning of using it 5 years and more… depending on the usability in 5 years! I don’t need the fastest processor or the newest mobile or WiFi standards, but I want a device where I can run all the apps that I need and that is partially limited by the final Android version…

I agree that Android 7 is already great for a device from 2015, but how will it look like in 2023?

I think the Fairphone Team is doing a great job in maintaining the FP2 but after 2 or maximum 3 years i belief that a newer model should come out in order to guarantee again a lifespan of at least 5 years from the time of purchase… that is what keeps me from joining the club of FP owners and aswell from advertising it to my family and friends…

3 Likes

Just got back from jogging in the heat … knowing some Fairphoners’ “patience”, I sense the urgent necessity to insert the world “calendar” in front of “summer” in Bas’ blog. :wink:

5 Likes

definitely FairPhone is not playing marketing-bullshit-teasing game :joy:
few announces, small but important improvement.

GREAT JOB FAIRPHONE ! :+1:

switch to Android7 is important in terms of compatibility with latest apps and security patches.
Performances improvements is mainly a Google-fakenews :roll_eyes:

my only concerns regarding FP2, it’s his price ! 530€ in mid2018 for such Hardware…:fearful: :dizzy_face: :confounded:
It’s hard to recommend anyone to buy a new one now…sorry :flushed:
FP3 is planned for end-2018…should be ok to wait for those who want to join the community…it worths it :smiley:

if only, FP could develop some solutions to improve FP2 battery life (new OLED screen, lower consumption components, better soft integration, etc…)

6 Likes

Where are you getting that from? :confused:

3 Likes

At least that’s what we can learn from thia article:

3 Likes

That would be great! I hope my current phone lasts that long :wink:

1 Like

(scheduled to come in late 2018 - announced a year ago) x (things change + Fairphone factor) = no idea when it really comes out

8 Likes

I think that’s not a valid formula for calculating the release date of FP3. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Awesome news :smiley:, really glad to hear FP are going to try and support Android 7, I thought maybe it wasn’t possible with this chipset.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree it is a lot of money, which can make it hard/impossible for many people to buy.
However, I think there is a valid reason for this. In this case it is us the consumers that pay the price, whereas in other phones it might be a lower price for the consumer, but a higher for workers and people in the production chain as well as the environment, and a rather hefty one sometimes.
Hopefully, this could be reduced if Fairphone gains traction, without increasing the price for people and environment.

3 Likes

More superficial observations … :face_with_monocle:

Judging from the photo of the new case(s) …

… and comparing it with the out of stock (old) battery …
https://shop.fairphone.com/media/catalog/product/cache/3/image/560x/602f0fa2c1f0d1ba5e241f914e856ff9/b/a/battery_3.jpg
… it seems that both the FAIRHONE lettering on the battery disappeared and the lift here symbol changed on the battery. I would also suspect that “Change is in your hands” is printed on the (new) battery and not into the inside of the new case.

Watson?

9 Likes

Perhaps even the #LineageOS version for the Fairphone 2 will get better, as the released code could as well be used to polish it further :). I’m a little sad that LoS wasn’t chosen as the base OS.

5 Likes

I agree with PotentialBuyer,
I’m using an old 2008 samsung (non smartphone) since december because my old smartphone broke down, I was watching the fairphone site all this time for news about a new model but the only news I got in 4 months is about new cover…
I would really like to purchase a fairphone but, as said by PotentialBuyer, the hardware is old right now, and in the next five year to come will be osbolete I think…
I hope to hear some news about new model (maybe with entry level soc too).

1 Like

Well 5 hours before you posted this, you posted pictures with the answer in another thread:

So one may say that you are your own

3 Likes

Are we talking about a Google-certified Android 7.1?

Because a non-certified Android 7.1 for the Fairphone 2 exists since October 2017 – in the form of Lineage OS.

A Google certification is crucial as there are reports of apps (especially banking apps, but also some games) which refuse to run on systems without certification (for example rooted systems or custom ROMs). Even Google nags its users on non-certified systems to go through a registration process.

But if that update is really Google-certified – I will show the greatest respect for Fairphone and will prefer Fairphone over another brands if I need a new smartphone. But as of now, my Fairphone 2 from January of 2016 is still good for a couple of years.

12 Likes

Wow! That’s great news! What a nice surprise!

I also love the transparent covers.

6 Likes

Yes, the update will have the Google certification.

29 Likes

Well, it’s plain and simple:
Fairphone rocks!
:star_struck:

Admittedly, I would not have placed any money on a bet for that development. Once more it’s true, that life is full of surprises or expect the unexpected :wink:

13 Likes

@BertG

You´re right and put it to the point. :metal:

2 Likes