Issues with the forum

No, not that logo. It’s the one you’ll see after clicking the hamburger icon in the top-left corner.

2 Likes

Ah! on the mobile Android homescreen link or app

OK the svg banner/title

1 Like

Anyone know why replies moved from one topic to another frequently insert out of chronological order? Feel free to let me know if this was discussed or explained before (and where). I know it has kept occurring.

1 Like

I guess they comes in the order they are merged. Which was my mistake in the NZ topics merging. I’d love to know if it’s possible to rearrange them in chronological order without having to undo/redo the merging… And if not, if the forum support could be advised @admins?

2 Likes

And if not, if the forum support could be advised

As in us making a feature request?

How often does this problem arise? Do you have an example?

2 Likes

Antoine reversed the merge that created such an example today, but I found this older example:

Note that Paula’s reply is succeeded by a reply from way before Paula wrote hers.

1 Like

So the three messages from October 2015 are the ones that have been merged in after the fact, are they not? And you would like them to be sorted in chronological order based on the date they were written, not on when they have been moved. Correct?

Looks like someone is already discussing about this: Moving posts into an existing topic doesn't keep chronology - #33 by downey - feature - Discourse Meta

And: Don't merge topics! - feature - Discourse Meta

I think I agree with the point made in the latter thread. I can see situations where the current behavior makes sense, and others where yours would make sense.
I don’t know which type of “situation” triggered this latest message on your part, but I would consider going the easy way and simply close one thread and cross link between threads. My two cents.

Please do read the “Don’t merge topics!” one, they explain their reasoning pretty well.

The original issue today was about this new topic: Fairphone downunder I’ll consider the recommendations you linked to, although just closing topics (and recommending others if possible) is always tricky especially with new forum users as it often appears – mistakenly – as very rude (“I was censored!!!”).

3 Likes

is always tricky especially with new forum users as it often appears – mistakenly – as very rude (“I was censored!!!”).

I am painfully aware that most people tend to take personally any sort of “you should do this instead” approach. I guess that’s just life, since the beginning of time :smiley:

1 Like

TBH, I don’t see this as a big issue. As long as you don’t merge month old topics, a few days difference is not very important is it? The one thing is that one should be careful with merges as much as possible.

3 Likes

Actually I mainly don’t agree with the linked poster.
Especially the statement

If there is moderation of conversation quality then something should be done to reduce the noise and I would hide, archive or delete those topics

in the post Don't merge topics! - feature - Discourse Meta is disqualifying that user’s post for me.
Deleting a post or topic (and hiiding and archiving is similar) just because I as moderator regard the quality as non sufficient really sounds for me as censoring. So I’d agree with any user saying

in such a case…

3 Likes

Without going into a full analysis of what that user said, I think the core of the discussion is as follows:

• Merging should be the last resort
  • The feature work the way it works, and it will not be changed
  • Closing duplicate threads and cross-referencing appears to be the most sensible solution

Agreed?

3 Likes

I’d just say merging shouldn’t be automatic and particularly be avoided when moving whole discussions, in which case indeed:

But yes, agreed.

URLs in the user profiles are shown twice. This is not the case with a Discourse forum I host. Probably a theme (component) is not configured correctly.

@paulakreuzer first noticed this a year ago and I reported this to Forum Admin Support back then. I’ll add your information to that request (which remains open because so far it was assumed then to be a discourse bug). Do you happen to know which version of Discourse your other forum is on?

4 Likes

My forum uses 2.8.0.beta6, commit level 37413f180a (last updated a week ago). Link to forum is below.

1 Like

Have added this to the open ticket.

1 Like

It’s obviously related to the custom css of this forum. When using safe-mode it looks as expected:

3 Likes

Another issue with the CSS, the solved icon is not placed correctly. On a default Discourse instance this is positioned correctly.

2 Likes

There were so many issues for me with the “Fairphone-new-2017” theme of the forum that I’ve anyway changed on my FP2 browser to “Fairphone original” long ago. Using this theme it looks as expected:

5 Likes