Issues caused by event plugin after update to v2.9.0-beta6

I just checked, and there’s a report seemingly of the same bug,

No mention of the hypertext thing though.

N.B. Writing this post I see neither issue… I think because I initiated the post by selecting a quote. The issues only seem to occur when you click the grey “Reply” button at the end of individual posts.

I confirm. Various problems seemingly but only when you begin the post by clicking the grey “Reply” button. If I use the “Quote” button to start a new reply it works (and everything else).

2 Likes

Good that you’ve also commented in the according topic on meta.discourse.org!
I hope this will help to push the topic forward.
I’ve got reply from the forum admins that they regard it as a bug on Discourse side and they don’t see a way to fix it on their own.
So hopefully there will be a fix on Discourse side…

Btw.: I’ve noted that in safe mode the option to solve is to “disable unofficial plugins”…:

5 Likes

Yes, that seems to be the current diagnosis chez Discourse

They’ve even modified the topic title to hammer the nail in! I presume Events Plugin provides the “agenda” functions?.

P.S. I’ve added a plea to the Events Plugin topic.
P.P.S. Though it looks like that plugin is no longer being regularly maintained. See the same topic from March last year on. The idea is / was to move to the official Discourse solution, via a script for those who have a lot of events.

2 Likes

The Discourse admins will probably install another update soon (I suppose next week).
Let’s wait if this fixes the problem. If not then let’s discuss the next possible steps.

2 Likes

Unfortunately all issues remain unchanged after the update to V2.9.0-beta7 and there’s no progress on Discourse, neither in the original topic, nor in the topic of the “events plugin”.
So I’m afraid well have to replace the evens plugin if we want to solve the problem…
I think we should try to replace it by the official plugin

What do you think?

1 Like

I cannot really judge this, I guess given there are usually only very few events, we can give it a try. I would just find it important to keep the short URL https://agenda.fairphone.community somehow functional.

On another note, my original issues here probably have more to do with my original assumption (old browser).

I’m having this problem fairly consistently (using Firefox on my Linux laptop), but have discovered a work-around: (1) Start to type your reply, then (2) Click on the minimise down-arrow at the upper-right of the commenting area (above where the preview should be but isn’t). After the commenting area minimises, (3) Click on the restore up-arrow (being careful to not click on the destroy reply cross (X)!). Voilà, all(?) now works!

5 Likes

I think the URL itself and it’s redirection is not the problem but maybe the landing page for it as I couldn’t find out if the new Discourse Event plugin also creates something like the “Agenda” header (but it brings a link to “upcoming events” - so there should be something!).

You can also simply begin by “Quote”-ing a passage as I have done here, and then erase the quote itself in the composition box if you don’t actually need it.

I agree. But I would itch to be able to do some tests first. Maybe a sandbox?

1 Like

Confirmed. Unlike my workaround, that seems to be the only mandatory step.

As a helpful note to others, the quoting that is a work-around is to drag-and-select some (ideally relevant) text, then click on the Quote button which should appear above the so-selected text.

I only skimmed through that, but isn’t that just a test environment? I think this will be easier. I moved the Discourse instance I host a week ago. went smooth.

So you setup a server, restore the backup, then update and test it. If it works well, you can update your live instance. However, when using the beta releases, they are moving constantly. I update my instance every week. If you want long term releases, then the stable channel should be used. But “stable” means no updates, it doesn’t mean no bugs. It could mean you have to deal with bugs for a longer period.

Just my 2 cents, I haven’t followed this thread, hopefully I’m contributing something.

1 Like

I’m afraid you missed something (or I didn’t understand what you proposed). IMO a test environment is exactly what could be needed here to check out a different events plugin.

Yes. I would think we just need to make sure that the official plugin meets our needs, in particular those of the active community coordinators, and that Urs’s url can be redirected to something appropriate.

1 Like

Just an FYI, there are also nice ways to setup a dev environment. Probably also not what you were looking for, but good to know.

Just for those who didn’t join the testing: A forum upgrade has replaced the existing event plugin with the official one (and has so solved the problems). While for the time being the latter misses some key features of the one used so far (location, map), @Volker, myself and @Ingo as probably the most frequent users of the plugin so far have all been part of the testing and agreed that we can handle this with the new plugin (read: make up for the features by manually adding information to our event topics).

5 Likes

Hmm, seems the preview and quote problems weren’t solved by the update…
What about this?

Edit: all works well, sorry :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hmm! I thought I saw a post where Yvmuell said it was working in the ‘Original’ theme and I’m now not seeing any problems using that ??

3 Likes

Woops. Seems I don’t know how to look properly, disregard my previous post, all works well (on the original theme at least)!

Edit: Typo

2 Likes

Deleted it because I could not check for the preview issue on the phone and just the rest like uploading pictures using blockquote etc.

1 Like