Is the Fairphone 2 price justified?

I think many FP employees have stated that. I remember first hearing it from Tina at a T-Mobile Event in Vienna.

So there are two questions here:

Could the FP2 be cheaper? Do Fairphone profit too much for each phone? If you believe the cost breakdown the answer is clearly no. One might argue the phone should be a little more expensive to increase the net result so the company doesn’t get into financial jams.

After accounting for investments and operational costs, we have a result of approximately €9 before corporate tax. We reserve the remaining profit from each phone for unexpected costs or additional investments in our social impact programs.

Is the higher price (which is caused by the lower quantity) made up for in value?
For me personally the answer is clearly yes. 520€ for a phone that lasts 5 years (which I do believe it will) is not too much.
Especially if it’s the first modular smartphone ever, the most repairable smartphone so far, the fairest (new) smartphone (repeating again that the fairest phone is still a 2nd hand one that doesn’t have to be produced anymore), the one that comes with the coolest community and some of the greatest OS-porters.
When do you ever get so many superlatives for just 520€?
Oh and clearly I’m not the only one who thinks so or else the demand wouldn’t be higher than the supply.

9 Likes