Is it worth upgrading my FP3 camera to FP3+?

AH! Maybe that has changed since I did my profile, yes either both or drop the +

OK Alice you’re off the hook :slight_smile:

Thank you! I have loaded openCamera and will give that a try

Sorry for such a dumb question - but what is gcam? I have seen lots of mention of it but am not clear what it is.

Thank you!

Sorry for such a dumb question - but what is gcam? I have seen lots of mention of it but am not clear what it is.

gcam is a version of Google Camera App.
I use Nikita. There are numerous custom versions

For Android 10

It is worth noting that the 48MPs chip outputs 12MPx images max (Rear camera)

Its an App, but its not available on the Playstore. Its the Google Camera modified for usage on non Google Smartphones.

For some more pictures see here

Just my two cents:

1. Yes, the camera upgrade from 3 to 3+ is worth it. But that’s a very subjective opinion.
  2. Some apps I highly recommand: ProCam X (a very powerful camera app alternative to the stock app), SKRWT to straighten inclined lines (e.g. for architectural shots when the phone is held at an angle) and Snapseed (the working horse for all kind of post-processing).
1 Like

I did that when I had an FP3 and the answer is no. You might want to give alternative camera apps like Open Camera a try, though.

Best wishes,
Thomas

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this information!

1 Like

Thank you so much to everything for taking the time to help! I am going on a long hike so weight is critical - I will work with Open Camera and see how I go. All the best FF community!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi,

I currently have a Fairphone 3 but find the camera a bit limited. I am thinking of buying the spare part of a Fairphone 3+. Does anyone have any experience with Fairphone 3+ and 3 and can tell me if the change is worth it? I especially need the change to record videos on the inside camera.

Thanks!

The last FP3 software update, included many improvements to the camera software. Unfortunately, these improvements are available only for the 3+ cam module. I suppose that from here on, the difference between the two modules will be more pronounced than before.

Hi cvgailec, according to many users, until now the differences between the two modules were not so evident. After the camera software update, I decided to buy and install the new “+” module. I noticed a big improvement compared to the old module. Faces are not “dry” anymore, the noise on the sky (even in daytime) disappeared, the white balance is more accurate, the autofocus is faster and doesn’t go into crisis with low light like before, the details far in the background are more visible and “detailed” now. The differences are even more evident when you see the photo on the PC/Laptop. (I use the 4/3 ratio to preserve the full 12 mpx resolution). The camera sensor is a native 48 mpx (output 12), so digital zoom seems more accurate.

2 Likes

Just a little extra info.

The camera has 48Mp not 48mpx (48Mpx) it has 48Mps, As such although you are correct in that digital zoom may seem better it’s more down to the quality of the 12Mpx than the 40Mps

Thanks for the information, will give it a go :slight_smile:

Actually, extra question. Did you also exchange the internal camera? If so, did you see any notable differences?

The facing camera still has issues. It is a 16MPx proper but currently the settings only seem to provide 4Mpx and although this is being looked at it’s been like that for well over a year.

Video calls are often too edge enhanced especially in bright surroundings.

No sorry, I never use the selfie camera so I bought only the main camera. After some weeks I confirm the good impressions and the overall improvements, some glitches still remain but they are now marginal.

2 Likes

Hi, I’m hoping to upgrade the both the cameras (front and back) on my Fairphone 3 to the 3+ modules, but I’m worried it might slow down the (already very slow) time it takes the phone to take pictures…just wondering if anyone else has tried this and how it went for them? Thanks in advance!