Is FP a successful project but a failed phone?

Or it succeeded. It is entirely normal that you need to buy a new battery every now and then. I used my batteries for approx 1,5 years each.

Of the rest you mentioned, translucent cover had a known fault, and the bottom module is flaky due to the mic and USB port.

1 Like

I have a FP3 simply because I really wanted a Fairphone for my next phone but didnā€™t think it was a very good idea to buy a 4-year-old model whose specs werenā€™t even great when released. Is it fair to expect much from a FP2 at this point?

That being said, while waiting for Fairphone to release a new phone, I kept using my Samsung Galaxy S5, which I got around the time the S7 was released in 2016. I used it for 3.5 years with the only problem being lack of storage and having to wipe its memory on a regular basis. In fact, it still worked so well that I felt a little ashamed I bought the FP3.

Still, coming from the S5 the FP3 is definitely a step forward for me (apart from the camera, which is not a priority for me). I have a much newer version of Android, no annoying bloatware and hopefully no storage issues for years to come.

In the end, a phone is only as good as your expectations of it. Samsung pleasantly surprised me with the durability of one of their high-end models. So far I am pleasantly surprised that, in spite of the mediocre specs for a phone released in 2019, the FP3 feels like such an improvement for me. Personally I feel your expectations of the FP2 might be a little too high in 2020. That doesnā€™t mean itā€™s a bad phone, it means it doesnā€™t meet current expectations of what phones should be able to do.

2 Likes

Justifying design defects wonā€™t make it a more successful project. Thanks for your opinion anyway.

1 Like

I was explaining the underlying reason(s). Whether these are justified or not is subjective, up to the reader to decide.

1 Like

I have the feeling that the people who are protecting FP at all costs pretend not to see the elephant in the room.

Itā€™s OK to recognize that the pragmatic experience of durability and usability of many users (the majority?) is not aligned at all with the narrative the company is carrying on.

What I think it is not OK, it is to come up with excuses like ā€œdo not carry your mobile in your pocketā€ or ā€œdo not install those appsā€ because those are exactly the things we are supposed to do with our smartphones.

Itā€™s that part, ā€œthe majority?ā€, thatā€™s the problem here. This forum creates the impression that Fairphones are falling apart en masse in the hands of overwhelmingly disgruntled customers because thatā€™s the nature of a support forum: people come here because they have issues, and people who donā€™t have issues donā€™t seek out the forum.

So we donā€™t know whether or not the overall experience is aligned, as you say, with the corporate/fan narrative. Though Iā€™d say my real life encounters with FP2 users skew toward the overwhelmingly positive, which you may or may not consider a data point.

But on top of all of that I think we need to distinguish between enthusiasm and adulation. Itā€™s possible to be enthusiastic and positive while recognising the shortcomings of FP products. My FP2 has had some minor issues that I resolved, and I couldnā€™t be happier with the thing - and that goes for most FP2 users Iā€™ve run into in real life. I know this deviceā€™s weaknesses, and Iā€™m still happy to sing its praises.

An example of the enthusiastic-and-realistic mindset: just last week I was chatting with someone when I saw she had an FP2, and I asked her if she had any issues, and she did: the phone would reboot when it was placed on a table with too much force. A common issue with the battery contacts, so I helped her stick down a bit of tape on the inside of the battery well, and she was practically beside herself at the joy of repairing her own smartphone. She wants to keep using it for the next five years, so she told me. Iā€™d go so far as to say that in this case, the defect made this user enjoy the use of their phone more.

I donā€™t see blind adulation in this topic, just enthusiasm. And if anything, itā€™s the enthusiasm thatā€™s carried over into the mainstream: FP does not have a bad name, it isnā€™t widely known for making bad phones. People use these phones and even in 2020, any FP2 thatā€™s offered on this forum for a reasonable price is likely to sell within a week.

6 Likes

Besides my total agreement to @robbert.fā€™s posting above.

I hardly see anyone protecting FP at all costs.
Putting some statements into perspective, by adding relevant information or other experiences is something different; at least in my opinion.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.