🇬🇧 Interesting links / news articles somehow related to Fairphone

Thanks @Ingo . Does it mention the obligation on the manufacturers to provide these functionality updates in any specific time framework?

I’m not sure I understand your question.

But even if, I haven’t read the entire PDF, just searched for the place where it mentions the 6 months that I knew of from reading that other (German) article.

Thanks for the reply. Let me elaborate.
More and more manufacturers are now providing software updates (patches) and some also major Android version upgrades, at least for their flagship devices.

I was wondering whether EU legislation would make it an obligation by default, and if yes, for how long. At the moment, FP5 with 5 android upgrades seems to be an absolute outlier.

1 Like

He’s quite a drama queen in this review :joy:

2 Likes

Fairphone 5 was part of MKBHD’s blind smartphone camera test.
Spoiler: In the average comparison, FP5 scored the 17th place (of 20).

4 Likes

I guess I’m not the only one whose attention this wednesday news item escaped:

Don’t miss there’s still opportunity to rent a Fairphone (from the blog post):

We will continue working with Everphone in Germany and Commown in France to promote Fairphone as a subscription service.

3 Likes

Thanks for spotting it.

As a FP user, at least intentionally committed to sustainability (and living in Poland where Easy was never available) I am tempted to share that I have always been puzzled by this economical model.

And the post only increases this impression.

“At first glance, it seemed much cheaper to buy than to lease. However, this consideration did not take into account the benefits of leasing, such as not having to worry about replacing their phone or fixing it when something breaks.”

They openly say that it is cheaper to buy a phone and then say that the problem is not economical but behavioural.

I am happy to invest considerable amount of money to support the cause, but here the company offers two options, one visibly less attractive. With an extended warranty in place, why would one want spend so much money without getting a phone to keep at the end of the day?

Or is it a marketing friendly way of saying, we understand you, users?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken this might be the first kind of “public appearance” of the new CEO Reinier Hendriks (apart from the announcement that he follows after Eva Gouwens of course):

https://www.androidpolice.com/fairphone-big-changes-global-goals/

And most relevant part of the article to me is his aim to bring the price of future Fairphones down to the 400€ range.

5 Likes

Just got an e-mail from AzireVPN. They have a context this month, with prizes. Whoever does the most referrals, wins. I almost clicked it away, cause I don’t care about that kind of stuff. Then I noticed the first price is a FP5! I still won’t bother :stuck_out_tongue: but I thought that is really cool :slight_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes

Short review of the brandnew Fairbuds:

3 Likes

Shared that with the Apple addicted in my company. :sunglasses: