šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ Interesting links / news articles somehow related to Fairphone

Shameless self-promotion :smiley:

10 Likes

Well deserved!

But this link after the article:

Regain your privacy!..

No can do, after this interview.
:wink:

The FP3+ has made it so Time Magazineā€™s ā€œThe 100 Best Inventions of 2020ā€ list in the category ā€œSocial Goodā€ :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Not exactly about Fairphone: The first CO2 neutral airfreight

1 Like

Right to repair is going to get more attention and average consumer can use the rating as a factor when comparing products.

6 Likes

Getting longer software updates might become easier in the future

7 Likes

https://www.stuff.tv/features/eco-boost-tech-help-save-planet (Stuff)

The Fairphone 3 is also mentioned in the November issue of Enki magazine, but I canā€™t find a link for that.

1 Like

The Guardian is changing their ratings for consumer electronics to mark down products that donā€™t meet minimum sustainability criteria.

6 Likes

The article doesnā€™t say anything about modularity, but the Lava ā€œmyZā€ is customizable on order. You can choose the RAM, flash storage, front and back cameras and color of the case.

Iā€™m curious to see if that concept in successful.

2 Likes

Cool concept.
And hereā€™s more of the concept or rather the customisation page:

The choices are not infinite of course.
E.g. you got two choices for the rear camera:
13 + 2 MP
13 + 5 + 2 MP
With the first choice you can chose for the front camera between 8 and 16 MP; with the second choice itā€™s ā€œjustā€ the 16 MP camera.
Up to 6 GB RAM and up to 128 GB ROM.

And it comes with stock Android 10 (Go, if itā€™ s got just 2 GB RAM).
Dual SIM (both 4G), gorilla 3 glas and 5000 mAh battery.

The top model (13+5+2 MP rear camera, 16 MP front camera, 6 GB RAM, 128 GB ROM) is 10699 Rupies (about 120 Euro).
The cheapest one (13+2 MP rear camera, 8 MP front camera, 2 GB RAM, 32 GB ROM) is 6999 Rupies (about 80 Euro).

NO specail fair or ecological concept of course.
The CSR paper (PDF) is rather full of phrases without a real concept and nothing to be measured or binding.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: :de: Interessante Artikel/Links zu Fairphone und fairer Elektronik

Hi,
A study about Parental control apps on Android:

2 Likes

Quite a nice video from iFixit:

Your Smartphone Doesnā€™t Have to be Glued Shut!

Youtube: Your Smartphone Doesnā€™t Have to be Glued Shut! - YouTube or
Invidios: https://invidious.snopyta.org/watch?v=RCccpgposh4 if you prefer.

Mentioned/Presented phones are:

• Teracube 2e
  • Purism Librem 5 and
  • Fairphone 3
4 Likes

I donā€™t agree on everything, and Samung and Appleā€™s situation is different than Fairphoneā€™s, but there are some interesting thoughts in this video about phones delivered without chargers:

1 Like

Ok, I stopped after 3 min. His reasoning is stupid.

You should watch until the end, there are a few interesting things thereā€¦

Ok and what would that be?

The fact Apple removes the charger but adds a cable which is not compatible with their previous ones, for exampleā€¦

2 Likes

As I said, I donā€™t think his arguments work the same with Fairphone. Heā€™s talking about flagships and new trends in general. Fairphone could do what they did because they used standard cables and chargers and didnā€™t offer fast charging in a new way. As @Antoine writes, one of the problems with Apple is when you donā€™t give a charger but force most people to buy one since they are not compatible with the previous phones they sold. And in this regard, the arguments about packaging and delivery are quite interesting.
Where the arguments lack some insight, in my opinion, is when he only takes packaging and shipping in consideration, and not plastic waste, as many people already have a working USB charger/cable that would be compatible with most phones.

4 Likes

Wouldnā€™t it be the best solution for sustainability and the user to make the charger and the headphones optional? You could just tick a box, if you want them or not. Maybe make it cost 1ā‚¬ each to give an incentive to not take the charger or the headphones if you donā€™t need them. This way the company would make it clear that they try to save resources and energy and not to make money.