šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ Interesting links / news articles somehow related to Fairphone

My 2 ct: Iā€™m getting increasingly annoyed by the recycling of plastics because of all the rules what goes where, which plastic can be recycled, which canā€™t. It isnā€™t user-friendly at all, and since local governments each have different rules if you are visiting someone or are at work or even in a train thereā€™s suddenly different rules. If we want people to reduce waste, we need to figure out a user-friendly way to do so.

2 Likes

The common ground should be: We should get rid of the use of plastics as much as we can and restrict the use to cases where thereā€™s really no alternative (e.g. medicinal uses).

Recycling is good, but the handling of plastics in that regard, often meaning the non-handling of it, will get us nowhere meaningful, it seems.

We have to somehow get most of this stuff out of the environment and out of the food chain.

3 Likes

What for? I got used to the taste of ĀµPlastic. Well known rule - donā€™t change old habitsā€¦ :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

No, serious what gets me annoyed more and more is the ongoing pollution I can witness.
There are ugly places where people simply leave their waste behind thatā€™s being scattered over time and hardly one cares about it. But also I have to blame some city administrations as some places only have a countable quantity of public waste bins so people not necessarily have proper options to dispose their waste and rather drop it instead of keeping it until the next disposal opportunity.
But again I can see that citizens obviously misuse such public bins to decrease their own private disposal volume for free.

Next is the fact that so called ā€œorganic plasticā€ actually is misleading customers to believe that they are doing much better to the environment although this type of plastic is only a small step away from the main problem.

Yeah I know one city in NL where people have to pay every time for each garbage bin (with different types). No matter if its full or empty, if it gets emptied you pay. Now, in theory this means the people who produce a lot of garbage pay up. In practice, people dump shit in their neighborā€™s garbage bins, they dump in nature (it has some beautiful nature surroundings). The latter is an environmental crime, but whatā€™s a law worth if the chance of being caught is too low? I believe its better to tax via the municipal tax.

Makes me wonder what happens in China with their social credit system :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

In other news:

Circular Economy Action Plan The European Green Deal #EUGreanDeal

Its a 28 page PDF, have not read it myself yet.

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Everyday astronaut - discussing SpaceX and its founder

Hi, nice graphic. Nothing here about health impacts due to radiation.

Because that effect is not scientifically proven. There are some hypothesis, research on mice. There was a research done about 10 years ago by Nokia, in Switzerland. The result was nothing. What is very real though, is the fear of radiation. It is scientifically proven this does make people ill.

4 Likes

Blogpost on iFixIT:

Itā€™s refreshing that Fairphone anchors their philosophy not only in their product design, but also in being a transparent company and making iFixit part of the Fairphone 3 ecosystem. Fairphone gave us open access to all the information needed to offer you Fairphone 3 repair guides on iFixit.com, in addition to their own official guides. Plus, weā€™re offering Fairphone 3 spare parts on our European store in collaboration with the Dutch manufacturer.

Boldface added by me.

3 Likes

Eco-friendly covers featured in British GQ-Magazine:

They are all available for Apple, a greater part also for Samsung phones and than some Huawei and Google phones.
None for Fairphone so far.
The kickstarter-project by agood.com would be the first one from that list.
More info; take a look at this thread:

1 Like

This article about the Fairphone 3 even mentions the Fairphone Angels program. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I also appreciate the community that Fairphone has built up in Europe and around the world. The Fairphone Angels group is a vibrant ambassador program that extends and amplifies the companyā€™s message and customer support outreach. It reminds me of a more grassroots version of the Apple Genius Bar, combined with OnePlusā€™ vibrant community forums and global meetups.

:star_struck:

2 Likes

Not directly related to Fairphone, but at least somehow to 'Fair".

In these challenging times for many businesses it may be an option to move more into the digital world doing business.
Maybe this link from Thrusted Shops is of interest for some out there seeking for options to get an online shop up and going and thereby extending their reachability.

I stumbled over this benchmark on twitter: 2020 ICT Benchmark Overview - KnowTheChain

The other major drawbacks with the Fairphone 3 are its price and its availability. This phone retails at ā‚¬450, or just under $500, which is way overpriced for what it is based on specs alone.

Unfortunately, he is still asking the wrong question. The question shouldnā€™t be ā€œWhy is the Fairphone so expensive?ā€ but rather ā€œWhy are other phones so cheap?ā€. I obviously excluded economics of scale here and if FP produced their phones in millions they would certainly be a lot cheaper, but the term overpriced really annoys me.
Fairphoneā€™s arenā€™t overpriced, Huaweiā€™s e.g. are just extremely ā€œunderpricedā€ and that cost saving affects people who basically get enslaved.

Why is this so darn hard to comprehend for people?

12 Likes

Android 9 will be released for the Fairphone 2 and this is covered quite positively, as @Iain_Kennedy has posted in another thread :

Maybe because cheap rules. But how many would consent to such objects?
Imho people judging the Fairphone only by its price tend to belong to such and probably donā€™t even feel bad about it or not being aware of it.

3 Likes

I spotted this article on The Register - interesting angle focusing on software updates:

7 Likes

Weā€™re still in the dark age of mass hallucination that weā€™re separate from what is outside of our bodies.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t describe it that drastically, but yeah - out of sight, out of mind.

1 Like