🇬🇧 Interesting links / news articles somehow related to Fairphone

You’re welcome.

About Google data collection, my parents taught me that :wink:

Android solves a lot of security problems, to be fair. Its just a privacy hog for Google and potentially for the US government 3 letter organisations plus you lose some control. But the lack of having root is a plus for many users akin to how capability-based security is a plus for users but hard to implement because they’ll just click on “yes” the whole time. Symbian was a capability-based OS from the ground up, btw.

I use Firefox instead of Chrome on my mobile phone (and I am trying to switch away from Chrome on my desktops). Its great, ever since Quantum especially, however all these Electron apps and apps on phone still use a headless embedded version of… Chrome. So from a security PoV you got an attack surface of two browser engines.

Btw, for a headless version of Firefox for the terminal, check out https://brow.sh

2 Likes

“Welcome to the European observatory on Algorithmic Sovereignty. This is a collective place of documentation gathering research, developments, events and projects related to the topic. […]” The first summit was yesterday.

2 Likes

Nice site for raiting smartphone on sustainebility: http://www.buyaware.org/en/ratings_en/

Fairphone should pay attention to publishing their CO2 footprint to score even better

Also interesting

4 Likes

Yes, but some information is false already such as the release date which is not 2017 but 2015.

“Due to the fact that we lack a lot of company specific data such as Fairphone’s CO2 footprint.”

I do believe this is rather a matter of not having properly investigated on these missing pieces of information. Fairphone does offer quite a lot of valuable information on their product (and business goals/actions) (often much more than conventional manufacturers do, so I am a bit surprised that there is much more of such data in the database from the others).
Even Greenpeace found more information, how did they do it? I think the lack is not on the FP side.

6 Likes

I moved this post here because it looks more like a link than a discussion. If a discussion evolves, we can still move it back to its own topic.

While you are right, of course, one has to acknowledge, that this is a really heavy task to start with, not to mention keeping it up-to-date. Much more so, as they seem to be a young enthusiastic team doing it in their spare time (while studying?).

Maybe this community could help them updating their infos. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, I fully agree with your point. Nevertheless I tend to say it should be an even more easy task to gather information about Fairphone than about most other smartphones/companies out there.
Already having a database with data of many other phones building up a score gets me to wonder how come specifically some is missing for FP.

Maybe they were on the FP HP but did not use the search function too extensively.

Yes, of course. I have sent a message to the team with more information
on where to find more details and how easy it is to gather them for the FP2.

5 Likes

Preview:

1 Like

Nice idea, but I could not read anything about a non-fixed installed (replaceable) accumulator.
If so it already would be out of the race for me, even if it could fly or dive.

1 Like

I don’t know this word.

IMO the concept is refreshing (like Lightphone with e-ink) but the hardware isn’t, and it has less progressive tentacles than Fairphone.

I did not post it as a suggestion to buy (am no salesman). Good concepts can be inspiring :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Patrick1 meant battery. We call it “Akku” in German because it accumulates energy.

4 Likes

Fairphone is mentioned here as well

1 Like

Not a link, but a photo. Found at a Viennese train station, inside a soft drink vending machine:

QUiCK-E Emergency Charger — One-way charger :no_mouth:

4 Likes

Interesting concept, I suppose a large e-waste footprint though.

1 Like

Planet Computers (who made the Gemini PDA) are planning to make a Nokia Communicator clone. Sadly not a fair project, nor modular, but it is a small mobile device with a physical keyboard (and some decent features such as USB-C, NFC, decent camera, …) running Android/Debian/Sailfish out of the box.

1 Like

There is already a YouTube video about such a device.

2 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-06/car-battery-pioneer-says-new-breakthrough-will-lower-cobalt-use

Unfortunately, the Bloomberg article focuses only on the financial benefits and less reliance on DR Congo (instead of improving working conditions and added value there).

What a crappy design let alone the stupid idea of selling e-waste in this careless way. I am having feelings to sue the company producing those items.

There is a rechargeable battery implemented but wasted for only once providing its limited energy (~600mAh). No second thought wasted on eventually investing a few more cents for protection circuitry and maybe an adapter µUSB male -> µUSB male to recharge it for further use. There would not be much more to change.
This in 2018 and in Europe, I am ashamed :confounded:

I would had rather expected such an encounter in a third world country.

“Withstand going through a postal service”

Yes, very thoughtful keeping the CO2 footprint in mind for ridiculous 600mAh.

“It can be recycled up to 500 times”

Yes, but being several times rechargeable by the customer and THEN recycled would be the more ecological way imo.

quicke2

Power banks with only ~600mAh obviously are not that bulky as we can see here, so what a poor argument.
Btw. I would rather have a cable with plug instead of a broken µUSB port.

For me it’s hard to believe their business model is based on such processes.
I would not touch one of their products of this kind.

@Stefan

Thanks for this imo very negative example, as we all can witness again here - many companies these days still don’t care about their impact as long as the cash flow is satisfactory.

4 Likes

Has anyone ever heard of “Alphonso”?

By random on our German national radio station DLF I heard of an Android (Apps) background monitoring service called Alphonso.

A short search on the net brought me here.

I always expected something worse going on in the background as not all network traffic is purely going directly to Google. Now I know for sure that having too much trust in such devices running stock Android (IOS) is a bad idea.
Seems like every smartphone owner is potentially keeping an Alexa sniffing device.

4 Likes