Installing Triodos banking app on a first generation Fairphone?

Dear all,

Did someone succeed installing the app of the Dutch sustainable bank Triodos on a first generation Fairphone?

In the play store I am told that the app is not compatible with my device, sadly. :frowning:

You can try to get the APK file via other means, for example using http://www.onyxbits.de/raccoon
Then copy or otherwise send it to your FP1 and install it by opening the APK.
(Note: You will then have to keep track of updates yourself.)

Dear @m4lvin,

Thanks for this hint!

I couldn’t manage to use Raccoon on Ubuntu Linux but found APKPure to download the APK file online.

With the APK file I was then able to install it successfully.

~Robert

1 Like

Of course that also works, but (especially with banking software) I like to not have to trust too many intermediaries :wink:
Starting .jar files can be tricky, was that your problem? Maybe the answers here can help you: https://askubuntu.com/questions/192914/how-run-a-jar-file-with-a-double-click

And if the app runs fine it would be good to tell Triodos about it, maybe they can remove the restriction to also allow installation via Google Play again?

3 Likes

Using bank apps on rooted phones (like the FP1) is not advised due to security reasons. I generally wouldn’t use banking on my phone, since it is online all the time…

Read more about security in Android:

Dear @m4lvin,

Thanks for the shared resource on opening jar files!

Yes, I told Triodos about the problem and the workaround. They were responsive to look into the issue.

Dear @Stefan,

Using bank apps on rooted phones (like the FP1) is not advised due to security reasons. I generally wouldn’t use banking on my phone, since it is online all the time…

I generally feel the same about apps that handle sensitive data. However, for this particular one I am just very annoyed of having to use my physical identifier all the time, even to just log into my account.

~Robert

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.