Installation of Fairphone OS from Linux

Hello, I wish to let you know that I could reinstall Fairphone OS on my FP3+ combining the instructions from [https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048050332](Manually install Fairphone OS on FP3/FP3+) and [Install /e/OS on a Fairphone FP3/3+ - “FP3”](Install /e/ on a Fairphone FP3 - “FP3”).
I had to reinstall Fairphone OS because I wanted to try /e/ but, even though it does boot fine and basic functionality is all right, there were issues with the audio and cameras.
I was surprised to read that there are no instructions to install it under Linux, in fact the “Manually install Fairphone OS on FP3/FP3+” page states:
Linux Ubuntu-based 18.x (temporary unavailable)”
However, the same instructions that are given on the /e/ site about installing /e/ on the FP3 apply to Fairphone OS as well.
In detail, after the phone is set ready to be reflashed:

1. unpack the downloaded Fairphone OS archive running the command:

7za x FP3-REL-Q-3.A.0045-20200905.155001-user-fastbootimage.7z

1. change the working directory to the newly created one:

cd mint_FP3-REL-Q-3.A.0045-20200905.155001-user-fastbootimage

1. flash the files in the right order:

for I in system boot vendor dtbo product vbmeta ; do fastboot flash $I $I.img ; done

1. re-lock the bootloader:

fastboot flashing lock

The commands 7za and fastboot may have to be installed.
The above worked when performed on a Devuan GNU/Linux 4 (chimaera/ceres), Debian-like distribution and I expect it to work on any other Debian/Ubuntu like one.

3 Likes

Welcome to our community forum and thanks for the Linux instructions :+1:

Right now the FP3+ cameras (that is, its camera module and its top module) are not compatible yet with /e/OS. The /e/ developers and community are currently working on upgrading /e/OS to Android 10 and including drivers for the FP3+'s new modules.

2 Likes

In the past the linux instructions were essentially the same for the actual flashing process, just run FP3_FlashAll. And I have used that a couple of times successfully.

@formerFP.Com.Manager Do you know why the linux instructions how to manually install the OS are no longer available? Is there a problem with the flash executable on Linux (last time I checked it was still part of the download file)?

1 Like

Hi @Ingo,

In the latest release a little error was spotted. Our team is looking into this at the moment and will republish it asap.

Rae

6 Likes

OK, fair enough.
Thank you for all the work you’re doing.

Hi @Ingo, the Linux installation has been published once again. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.