Install the forum as an app on your phone/computer

OK, so three Chrome browsers. Any history of forum.fairphone.com removed before (if present)? Be sure to not use incognito mode…

I’m telling you, it’s a problem only here. Is that really too far fetched? :nerd_face:

Hi Been trying to follow this topic and note

But that’s all I have to say about it. It starts to become a long thread for the subject.

so hopefully not prolonging the agony, there are two points.

• Installation as an app on the phone means you get notifications without having to use a browser to check for updates etc.
  • Discourse works as an app for other forums

leading you to query how this forum is setup, not which browser is being used etc.

1 Like

If you would only answer my questions: no. So I had test in Chrome by myself, result: It does not work. I can change the language in Google Translator, but that is all.

I then tested on the Discourse forum itself and there I am offered to install Discourse Meta.

Found another hint in the Discourse forum:

If a user meets both Chrome criteria and is TL1+

And more:

This is tweaked to only occur on mobile, as it would be a bit annoying on Desktop. At least until Chrome launches tabbed mode for PWAs in Desktop.

So it might turn out that the Fairphone forum runs an older version of Discourse Meta…

It’s either that or the custom theming is creating an incompatibility with PWA.

1 Like

I reported this in the thread dedicated to forum issues:

1 Like

You may be able to address this to the engineer who manages the forum updates via direct message if urgent.

I’m still not sure whether there is a “real” problem, or a cosmetic one.

Bromite (based on Chromium) behaviour for forum.fairphone.com

Bromite (based on Chromium) behaviour for meta.discourse.org

Result on the App list is … none.
Result on the home screen is …

The results with Bromite are the same as with Firefox, the shortcuts on the home screen behave the same as if Firefox creates them.
The index page of the website will get opened without any browser UI, notification dots on the home screen icons should work, as far as I remember.

The difference I see is that for meta.discourse.org Bromite gives an “install” prompt, where Firefox would only give “add shortcut” prompts in any case after offering to “Install” in the menu.
But this doesn’t change the visible action the browser then takes.

So, as I surely won’t install Chrome … what is missing compared to Chrome?
The entry as an App in the App list, and that’s it? Or is there something else?

2 Likes

The difference between the two behaviors is that Bromite prompts for the installation of a PWA, which is an own app that uses the Chromium base and fully interacts with the operating system, while “add to home screen” just puts a link on the desktop. The “Bromite method” is the one we are looking for…

To add: Mozilla cancelled support for PWAs in Firefox half a year ago, as they claimed to have no resources left to support it…

It doesn’t seem like that to me, as the Fairphone link looks and behaves in the same way as the Discourse link.
How can I check for a difference here?

This is not the result of really adding a link to the home screen, which would not change the URL in question to the respective index page of the website, and which would not result in the link then being opened without the browser UI.

I have “real” deep links on my home screen which get opened in the browser with its full UI and I know it sometimes wasn’t easy to get them :wink:Firefox 82: Force page shortcut onto home screen instead of installing a PWA

I read that, but the question is what this support actually was.
It sounds to me like apart from the presentation of a website as a PWA, which Bromite and Firefox still do, Chrome would do more.
My question is whether that includes something substantial worth having. I can perfectly live without PWA entries in the App list, for instance.

1 Like

Yes that seems easy using Firefox 68 for Android. I thought the OP wanted an app not a browser URI UI

Correct. Although the installation prompt should appear all by itself because Discourse Meta supports it out of the box, it does not appear on the Fairphone forum.

As Firefox does not support it, there is only Chromium left to verify. (I used the Desktop version of Chrome to test it, but my favourite browser is Firefox.)

I am not bothered either with the current situation, I just wanted to know/find out the differences, although it seems that you can do more with the PWA, I think notifications are fired from the OS notification center, whatever…

As can be seen, I got the links with Bromite (based on Chromium).
And I can get the same links with the same functionality with Firefox.
So, assuming you are correct, Bromite wouldn’t support “it” either. But what is “it”?

It was. Good times. Firefox 82: Force page shortcut onto home screen instead of installing a PWA

1 Like

More info here:

Ah, it seems the picture format of the forum logo could be the cause why it does not work:

1 Like

My expectations leave me permanently disappointed, just trying not to lay the blame on others, Fairphone, Firefox, Friends and Foe.
:accept:

Found a difference, at least to what I remember with Firefox 82 … Notification dots seem to not work anymore for me now for the supposed PWA link icons on the home screen.
That’s not cosmetic.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to install as an app but I have just received a notification of a post even with the Firefox app not running ??

Never had any problem to have forum notifications from a Firefox tab on android, as @anon9989719 also confirms above.

1 Like

I would not expect any problems either, but the PWA seems to interact better with notification centers on Android and Windows…