"Install Fairphone OS offline" failed but locked the bootloader

Well, it didn’t cross my mind to try this… Won’t work with a locked device, would it?

There are some news from iodé, btw: They updated their installation instructions (https://iode.tech/en/iodeos-installation/#1648127755024-cd19692f-431b) as well as released a new build which needs a new avb_custom_key (Release iodéOS 2.x for Fairphone FP4 · iodeOS/ota · GitHub).

Yes, sure, we have deleted the iodes yvb key before.

yes, and i have not seen anymore a bricked iode device after installing with iodes user-settable avb key. (and detailed step-by-step instruction)

it must be unlocked to install it. in any case for every ROM

The only thing I’ve ever heard that it is possible to do it with a locked bootloader ist the googles own web gui flasher for original pixel devices running only in chrome browser…

Calyx flashes a avb_custom_key as well, still my phone running Calyx has the OEM toggle turned off / greyed out and get_unlock_ability set to 0, so probably unrecoverable (not re-unlockable :see_no_evil:) if locking the bootloader failed.

OK. for me with iodè as follows

avb custom key installed. → get yellow bootloader screen as expected “Your device has loaded a different Operating System”
bootloader → DEVICE STATE: locked
fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability → (bootloader) get_unlock_ability: 1
developer options → OEM unlocking is set to “on” and it is not greyed out

That’s automatically after iodé installation. Didn’t change something manually

For me, it is looking like it should

1 Like

Yes, that’s as expected:
bootloader locked (like in your case) = OEM unlocking not grayed out = get_unlock_ability: 1

If you unlock your bootloader → OEM unlocking will be grayed out

If you install FPOS I’d expect OEM unlocking to change to disabled. Most secure way out from that state might be to reinstall iodéOS, relock the bootloader (hoping this really works without a problem) and then you’re back to your current perfect state.

I’d expect that as well, but can we actually confirm this is happening?

Here’s the process the devices I have access to went through:

FP4 grey: New → Bootloader unlocked → Some experiments (no custom ROMs) → Flashed back to stock → Flashed to CalyxOS = get_unlock_ability=0, OEM toggle disabled, greyed out

FP4 green: New → Bootloader unlocked → Some experiments (no custom ROMs) → Flashed back to stock = get_unlock_ability=1, OEM toggle enabled, greyed out

Both were only unlocked once, never relocked, the toggle wasn’t touched after the initial unlocking. So the device that has only been on FPOS is the one that still got get_unlock_ability enabled…

I think we can agree at this point, that as you said, bricking the phones is probably related to get_unlock_ability. I just don’t understand why the flag sometimes gets reset and sometimes it doesn’t.
Anyone got insight on why (or how) this flag gets changed? :thinking:

3 Likes

When did you flash back to stock? Recently? Long ago? At the same time? Maybe different FPOS version? Different “experiments”?

Same day, probably even immediately one after the other. The factory images haven’t changed as far as I can tell.

The only difference was, the grey one was stuck on an older OTA update than the green one, removing Play Services made updating impossible. But both phones were in the state the green one is in right now after being flashed back to stock, OEM toggle enabled, greyed out, same as before being flashed.

Different experiments, definitely, the green one isn’t mine, so it’s only acting as a control group :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.