Ideas for a range of FP4(+)

Burn in on LCD’s is near non-existant, while it’s a persistant problem with all OLED’s, alongside LED degradation over time.
I agree OLED’s look better, but LCD’s will last longer.

2 Likes

Since they only make one model, it’s kind of logical they can’t just please the small phone crowd alone. However, I do think most modern smartphones are too large. A 18:9 5,5" Display is probably a good size if the bezels are small enough.

2 Likes

Actual OLED’s abrasion went down to very little. By 4 hours usage a day it will take 20 years to reach half the brightness.
Also the burn in effect (as it is not really a burn) has shrunken enormously. As this effect only happens on static screen content when it is displayed for hours it is unlikely that a user will keep the phone display on for such a long time without changing whats displayed. The Phone manufacturer has also the possibility to limit the max on screen time, as it is actually 30min in the settings. But even if the user forced it on purpose, there are easy ways to avoid the burn in effect, i.e. pixel shifting or shading static parts of the screen after time.
So with actual state of research the manufacturers offer a multiple selection of preventions for the burn in effect.

1 Like

Faire évoluer déjà le FP3 serait déjà judicieux en effet le snapdragon sera à changer mais cela sera impossible de le faire nous même, Fairphone devrait le proposer en retour avec un aller retour transport chez eux et avec une garantie, un FP4 ou 4+ fait penser à Apple avec ces déclinaisons…

It would be most appreciated to continue the conversation in the language it started with. Would you be so kind and add a translation, please.

3 Likes

sorry , in english :
Evolving the FP3 already would be wise indeed the snapdragon will have to be changed but it will be impossible to do it ourselves, Fairphone should offer it in return with a round trip transport to them and with a guarantee, an FP4 or 4+ suggests to Apple with these variations …

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for the fast response. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

Hi @Antoine,

the collaboration between /e/ and FP is awesome. I would like to see FP take a few steps in the direction of security. They could build their own version of the OpenTitan RoC because the blueprints are available online. They could collaborate with the makers of GrapheneOS to tighten their security because these people are searching for a company to implement their ideas on secure hardware.

This way FP could become the ultimate phone, combining all niches of technology development: privacy, security and fairness.

Many greetings
-Hendrik

4 Likes

I am not for having 2 different core version of the future FP4 because the main problem for FP is not having a big part of the market to decrease cost per product. The developping cost are to big per phone to have more than 1 model.

For the improvement I think are good to do :

• Have a faster ROM storage, its one of the issue of the actual FP3/3+ (and probably a 128 Go due to the increase of the photo size and apps size)
  • Have a newer version of the snapdragon, still the 600 series, or maybe the 700 series because its a good compromise between performance and consumption. I think the Snapdragon 800 series are overkill for the majority of people (and me)
  • Improve the autonomy of the phone, the FP3+ have a too short capacity compared to the electrical hardware consumption.
  • Offer a possibility to manually ajust the max frequency of the processor and governor without root
  • Improve rear camera with a dual sensor, and keep it optional, just the module have to change (but heavy developing cost for each type of sensor)
  • Use amoled screen intead of IPS (AMOLED or another similar tech)

For the other function, the FP3+ is good enough (fast charge, front camera, digital reader, NFC, Wifi, 4G, Bluetooth…

3 Likes

That’s all well and good. But I saw my brother-in-law’s OnePlus 7 Pro, which is barely a year old already suffer burn in where the notification shade is. Clearly all these mitigation techniques can help, but not solve the problem.
So unless you can find a good reliable OLED at price parity with a good LCD panel, I really don’t see OLED’s having priority.

2 Likes

Just like to see one a bit smaller ~ without the top and bottom non functioning screen, or at least get rid of the bottom one with only the name.

Optional sides for buttons ~ left or right.
Hands free speaker at the top

Microphones top left and right. I like to stand my phone on a desk which 'covers the bottom mic.

1 Like

I see your point.
Nevertheless I want to mention, that a One Plus Smartphone is a very price aggressive product and I am sure they maybe set the price / quality value more in direction of the price then the quality.

On the other hand a friend uses a One Plus 3T, also equipped with AMOLED and do not have this issue.

Products all made by people in some kind and there is always the possibility to get one made on monday morning before coffee.

2 Likes

Hello community
I’m in search of a solution for my next phone replacement. I found a lot of interest in the Fairphone 3+ since it is focuced on sustainability. I was relatively surprised to learn, that the phone doesn’t support video out over USB C. Wouldn’t it be a great solution not having to have multiple internet capable devices like a phone and a laptop to browse and work online? It would greatly reduce the strain on to the environment.
So here is my feature request: Having an (optional) new USB C connector module, that supports native hdmi/displayport video output. It would make the phone a great addition to a device like the Nexdock touch.
Thank you very much for joining the converation.

5 Likes

For the FP3+, this is simply not possible. It only delivers USB 2 despite the USB-C port form factor. For the next generation, I am pretty sure that it will use a newer USB standard. But you will have to wait until this comes to market.

Best wishes,
Thomas

4 Likes

Ideally, one want’s to plug a phone in a typical usb-c ultrabook docking station and get the (quick) charging/hdmi/peripherals to just work - plug&play.
A `bottom module’ with usb-c that uses thunderbolt or USB3gen2 would be excellent.

6 Likes

There are some good ideas in this thread for a FP4(+), but I would like to add my three main reasons for buying the FP3+ last year. Obviously these are the same things I really need to see in a FP4(+):

1. Notification LED (very rare on the market now, but important for me)
  2. Long software support (5+ years)
  3. Removable battery

Of course there are other things that would be nice, like a faster SoC, more RAM, better (OLED-)screen and so on.
But the mentioned three things made me a Fairphone-customer and are essential for keeping me a Fairphone-customer in the future.

6 Likes

I would be very happy to get updates for the FP3(+) . Like a higher RAM, a faster processor and faster the newest Android updates. I know that it is difficuld as a small business, but it would reduce the E waist. But it would be also a very good option for the future to produce a costumer orientated phone in different sizes, high end and a very good camera have to be options too.

4 Likes

In my eyes 5G is really important, because in 2022/2023 it will be available on most areas.

3 Likes

Sadly for the FP3 it is impossible…
But maybe one day Fairphone will release a phone with upgradable RAM, which would be a huge improvement for the whole industry.

As for the processor, I’m not sure it would be ecologically sustainable or even financially interesting do upgrade the processor of an old phone, because it would require a huge lot of work and then you’d like to upgrade everything else.

As for faster upgrades, you’d need to ask processor manufacturers like Qualcomm to support them longer to make it feasible.

2 Likes

Today I received my Fairphpone 3+ and here are some things that are really needed:

• 5G
  • Dual Speakers or speaker at the bottom (when I am holding my phone with the left hand then I cover the speaker)
  • Screen with smaller borders at top and bottom (same size of the device but larger screen)

Is somebody collecting these suggestions and reporting them to Fairphone?

3 Likes