I introduce: Free Software Donation Day

My this month’s donation goes to Conversations

To me personally this is still one of the most important Free Software projects that there is.

2 Likes

Very good choice! Mine is going to webpack and Babel, two open source developer tools that are not backed by a big company, but essential to my daily workflow as software developer.

2 Likes

My choice goes to the awesome F-Droid (they have new website!) for being the FLOSS Android lacks, and Bitfire, specially for their outstanding work on DAVdroid, but for all their other apps and libraries supporting data independence and open protocols. :confetti_ball:

I don’t usually donate (:sweat:), so I did two substantial donations. Don’t be like me and donate more often!

4 Likes

Another month, another donation. https://lineageos.org/ it is. The successor of Cyanogenmod.

7 Likes

This month, i set up a recurring donation for the GnuPG project which is an essential tool in my daily live and so important for secure computing that it breaks my hard they get so little support.

They have a fundraiser running at the moment to cover their monthly cost. Since so many people here care about their privacy, why don’t you join me?

PS: 5€ a month seemed to much for me. So i set up a quarterly donation to reach the minimum amount and still regularly contribute to their funding.

6 Likes

My donation goes to the developpers of KDE, the desktop environment I use daily.

1 Like

How come I never noticed this thread? :hushed:

January was full of expenses so I’ll wait and have a look at the balance of my bank account end of February.

In fact I intended to donate to LineageOS (which I run on my FP2) and Ubports (I have the impression this is the most advanced non-android OS for the FP2) anyway :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Found an interesting project and just donated: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bootlin/allwinner-vpu-support-in-the-official-linux-kernel

2 Likes

I know it’s not the last Thursday of the month, but I have my own system on when to check my balance and see if I can put some cash into my savings account. Or donate.

So as promised I’ve sent some cash to Ubports and LineageOS.

Maybe for next month, if others chip in as well, we could support the idea of @ben to raise money and get an FP2 for SailfishOS development: Using Sailfish OS on the FP2 - Experiences and Issues

If there are no financial surprises next month I can contribute 50€.

3 Likes

I just set up monthly donations to:

• Wehost (as they host mine and Fairphones Mastodon account)
  • Disroot (for just being plain awesome and hosting my Taiga kanbanboard
  • Yunohost (for helping me to slowly liberate myself from the former two :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )
  • F-Droid - For being the coolest app on my Fairphone 2.
  • PiHole - For protecting me and my family from being traced online on ALL our devices!

I made a private OpenVPN server with PiHole on it and it is amazing how well this works. You can do it easily yourself, there is a great tutorial here.

12 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: What VPN to go for in in my FP?

As the end of the year draws closer, it’s maybe a good idea to think about donating to your favourite free and open source projects (again).

3 Likes

I am thinking about FSF, EFF, F-Droid or WeAreFairphone. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I just donated to Framasoft. They are an awesome French free software community that offer tons of free services to replace proprietary and data-stealing projects. Currently they are working on Mobilizon, an event management service that is supposed to replace Facebook Events and work with the Fediverse.

4 Likes

Framasoft is awesome. Thanks for the tip…

1 Like

Hi,
It’s been too long since I have posted here. I still donate regularly, but I have mostly been donating to the same companies.
I am playing around with UBports right now, so I gave them money for the awesome work they’re doing (like many others)!

2 Likes

Well, it’s the end of the year and I have donated to my regular NGOs, but it’s time to donate to some people helping to make my FP2 a happy place!
Framasoft will get some money like every year.
Then smaller donations to F-droid, K-9 mail and DAVx5.

1 Like

Most of my donations were earlier this year. I hope I remember them all: Calyx Institute (developers of the Seedvault Android backup), that guy working on open source developments for the FP3 who didn’t even have one at that time, Fairapps, the Internet Archive, PeerTube (IIRC that was for adding live streaming support).

Edit: I’ve just added https://gnuhealth.org/ to the list. Someone on social media recommended them when I asked him about ways to donate to the opensuse project (which GNU health is based on).