I do not want to update

I am really afraid to update as all settings must be made again. Is there way to update and make the FP5 stay with all settings as they are?

Thanks in advance and Kind Regards,
Uwe

Where is this coming from? Updating your phone should not change your settings. There are some minor issues here and there with FP updates, but 99% of your settings remain intact with updates.

8 Likes

Which settings got reset for you and what is your update procedure?
If you just click “download and install” when the update is offered to you within the running system, this should be incremental and not destroy any settings or data. There can always be issues, of course, so backups are advisable in any case. Personally, on the FP4 there was a single update that had reset a few(!) settings and they had to be redone. But this was very much at the beginning and nothing happened since.

2 Likes

With my last update I git asked for a PIN, always when I want to start-watch-talk-chat – I set my FP 5 in a way, that I do not need a PIN - my phone is always in my sight and so I do not need and don’t want to unlock. That was just one setting that got changed.

I do my updates always via the mobile network - what else?
Backups of my phone should be locates in which place? I even struggle to connect my FP5 via cable connection to my Mac, so … .

Kind Regards,
Uwe

Do I understand you correctly that this was the only setting that was changed? As I always have PIN lock, I cannot really say if this might be changed by the update.

Regarding backups, that greatly depends on what you do with your phone, how comfortable you are with “cloud” storage or other solutions, if you trust the “big G”, how tech-savvy your are and so on. There are some discussions on the forum already, but without knowing more it is impossible to recommend anything.

2 Likes

Are you sure that was the phone lock PIN or rather the SIM PIN?

2 Likes

I must admit, not to know-what is what. That one that unlocks my phone to use it. Not that one, after restart.

Kind Regards,
Uwe

That is the phone’s unlock method. If you find using a PIN or password to unlock the phone rather tiresome then there is an “easier” method, the pattern. That method allows you to authenticate just by moving your finger on the screen in a particular way to join some dots. It takes no more than a second or two to do each time. If that’s of interest let us know and we can help you set that up.

It’s really important that your phone be locked when you’re not actively using it. Phones are used more and more every day and contain more and more our personal data or access to them. They can be lost, stolen, forgotten. You can’t rely on yourself to never do that, neither can anyone.

Lastly, the FP5 has a fingerprint sensor. This avoids having to use the PIN, password or pattern except once, each time you turn the phone on, and occasionally Android will ask you to confirm, if the phone has been on continuously for a long time.

2 Likes