I deleted the Google Apps Installer

I don’t know how, but I accidentaly deleted the Google Apps Installer, and now I don’t know what to do with my phone ^^

Can someone help me?

At homescreen swipe from right to left and tap on the button in the middle with the six dots.
On top of the page you see now “app” “widgets” and a symbol to go to the playstore of Google.
Tap on the word “widgets”.
Now swipe to the last page where you find the widget “Google Apps Installer”.
Hold your finger on that widget and than you will be able to move the widget to the homescreen.

1 Like

I’d like but unfortunately the widget “Google Apps Installer” is not there anymore…

Remove your battery and put it back. That could do the trick.

No it doesn’t work :frowning:

I guess that the widget was lost after a system update so that the playstore has never been installed, right?
First question: did you update your system to Fairphone Cherry 1.6 or Android Jellybean 4.2.2? In the latter case the widget isn’t included at all. Consider update to FP Cherry instead. If for some reason you don’t want to do this, there are workarounds - search the forum.

Second question: If you updated to FP Cherry I guess something has gone wrong with the install. Did you allow for superuser access when prompted, as per the update instructions? Try re-install the update. If that doesn’t work, a last resort is to update manually

Hi @ginglejo,

please provide some more information: How did you accidentally remove the installer? Do you remember what you did?

Rest assured: Your case is probably fixable, but you need to give us more information.

Yes I updated to Android Jellybean 4.2.2 I think ! And after that the “Google Apps Installer” disappeared.

Yes, it would, since the Google Apps Installer is not part of Android Jellybean 4.2.2 but a specfic FP OS feature. So my suggestion is that you install FP Cherry 1.6 instead. If for some reason you don’t want to do that I imagine that it is possible to manually install the PlayStore on Android Jellybean, but I’ve no idea of how. Maybe you can find a way if you search the forum (or the internet).

1 Like

Hi, I have exactly the same problem :frowning:
Did an update and the “google apps installer” disappeared, as one of my app, which still appears on my phone but it says that it’s not installed.
Every few minutes my phone says “the Google play services application has stopped”.

ok :slight_smile: But if I install FP Cherry 1.6, what are the consequences ?

Hi @lregniault,

did you update to FP OS Cherry or Android Jelly Bean 4.2.2?

@ginglejo, an installing FP Cherry might delete apps and settings. Essentially it is the same version of Android 4.2.2 with additional Fairphone Apps like the GApps Installer, Enjoy Some Peace Widget and a customized launcher as well as the Fairphone Updater. I recommend to use this version, if you do not like the Fairphone Launcher, you can install another Launcher like Launcher3 from f-droid.org or Nova from Play Store.
Because the Fairphone Updater you used to install Vanilla Android 4.2.2 is not part of your current installation,
you will have to reinstall Fairphone OS 1.6 Cherry manually, as described here:
https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202478028

After that, the Google Apps installer should be on your home screen again. If not, look in the Widgets list and then drag to a home screen. You will then be able to install Google Apps.

Android 4.2.2 I think

@lregniault if you do not have the Fairphone Updater or other Fairphone specific apps, then it probably is.
In that case i would advice you to switch back to Fairphone OS. The steps would be like above explained to @ginglejo.

If you really want to stay on “Vanilla” Android 4.2.2, you could try to install GApps manually by following the Cyanogenmod instructions: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps.

The right package of GApps should be the one for CM 10.2. See Fairphone Support to learn how to boot in recovery mode.

I’ll try the first option.
thanks!

You’re welcome. Keep in mind that this might delete settings, apps and personal data, so you should make a backup.

Thank you it works now :smiley:

2 Likes