[HOWTO] ✏ Compiling Fairphone Open OS / Rooting

Only things that still come to my mind: Broken memory or … wrong gcc/software setup. I know other people build with it with your version here, but I’m just trying to explain the error message I saw that you posted here. But as far as I know, you never tried another gcc :wink: Or tried to reinstall the old one.

Regarding “different reason” I was referring to the amount of memory/swap available. :slight_smile:

But I’m currently setting up a new vm (ubuntu server 14.04 lts), so let’s see if it works there finally. :slight_smile:

Okay, that would also be a new software setup. If all fails, try running memcheck on the system. ;(

The lastest pull (“sync”) from today still builds here, I have only seen a few old January changes from an external party that seems to fix FP issues upstream (Thunder Software Technology Co., Ltd). No problems. Not sure if there is an other -dev tree hidden somewhere. I use what is described in the HOWTO above.

Yeah, thought it couldn’t hurt to start from scratch… Hope the physical memory is okay – the machine is not too old. :-/[quote=“fp1_wo_sw_updates, post:393, topic:11600”]
The lastest pull (“sync”) from today still builds here,
[/quote]
Good to know. :slight_smile: Currently fetching it. I’ll see how it goes…

And it failed again (at building chromium), see buildlog. :frowning: Repeating specs: vm, ubuntu 14.04 lts server, gcc 4.8.4, 6GB memory, 6GB swap.
@fp1_wo_sw_updates, I’ll run memcheck but as I never had any freezes or the like yet I believe that it’s not a hardware problem with memory on the host.

I couldn’t find it, as the thread is quite long already, what kind of virtualization do you use?

I might never have named it… :-/ I’m using kvm (via virt-manager/libvirt).

Ok, then probably not the virtualization, as at least to people are using KVM for their VMs…

@fp1_wo_sw_updates, I was running memcheck during the night and it completed without any errors… So the physical memory seems to be ok. Which is good to know, but doesn’t bring me closer to a solution… :frowning:

Another compiler like 4.8.5 :wink: Because the only real error I ever saw in your logs was a compiler crash.

I’ll see to find a manual how to update it to 4.8.5. But to be honest I cannot believe that it will change anything as I did my last try on a completely new vm and other people have successfully built using 4.8.4.

Edit: I installed gcc 4.8.5 from toolchain test builds PPA and started a new build try.

Great, I keep my fingers crossed. I would have suggested just using another distro version, but changing the gcc is the last thing that came to mind after seeing your segfault.

Hello there,
thanks for the reply! To be honest, I’m not so sure about the “just” in “just try it”.
While I know my way around Linux, this is my first Android phone, so I have no clue about the stuff going on here.

The only thing I found on the forums is this thread:

It leads me to believe that I need a recovery thingy to be able to unpack the zip I get from the openGAPPS website. But I don’t understand whether all the steps described there are necessary and/or if I can just use the recovery image provided in the thread. It doesn’t include the blobs, and I don’t know if that restricts the functionality of the FP.
I guess I should ask these questions in the thread, but if you have some advice I would love to hear it.

Well, Ubuntu 14.04 is the recommended OS I believe. And actually it is already my third distribution version I’m trying. First attempt failed on Ubuntu desktop 15.10, the vm running ubuntu desktop 14.04 failed as well, and the freshly installed ubuntu server 14.04 failed yesterday as well. Let’s see if it works this time. Tomorrow morning I’ll be able to tell more.

Build it from the source with the blobs, best also build & install TWRP as a recovery and install openGAPPS. But I’m not using openGAPPS so I can help here right now :frowning: But I can tell you that the self-build images work. But maybe it’s best to wait until the FP project offers an easier way to get the “open” images for your phone (they still use the blobs, by the way).

Hi there,

thanks for the effort. I’ve read the main post and some comments. Strangely, it doesn’t seem so hard for a newbie. According to your experience, what are the statistics of success on this operation? What are the chances to get it right (and not brick it) with low/no dev knowledge (therefore, just following the steps, without any “backup plan”)?

Thanks in advance,
oekoniko

Hi @oekoniko. What’s your operating system? Are you familiar with the terminal?

Well, is it strange? You don’t have to write program code yourself, this has already been done. In the end, you “just” have to compile it. :wink: Therefore, it’s enough to be (or become) a little familiar with terminal commands.

For statistics you need a significant amount of people and solid data. Neither is present in this case. Also, this really depends a lot on previous knowledge of all the people who should be included in the statistics. Hence, I would never dare to state any probability or chances.

I’d only say the following: If you follow the steps carefully and without mistakes, all should work well as it did for most of the people here (there are exceptions as @sjjh who seems to have a lot of bad luck). If you have questions about some steps, feel free to ask!

Even if flashing will not work and you will have softbricked your phone, you could try recompiling (maybe you made a mistake or had a wrong software version of gcc for example) or flash the stock ROM. I wouldn’t say that it’s impossible to completely brick your phone (e.g., I don’t know what happens if you accidentally cut USB connection during the flashing process), but at least it’s quite hard:

1 Like

Talking about bad luck, the latest build try failed again for me. :frowning: Neither in the console output nor in the build log, I can find any helpful error message.
I always run the build via make -j1 2>1 | tee ~/build.log to have the output both visible and in the file. But I’m wondering if I somehow omit the error message… And I still have no clue how to debug the issue.
Anybody an idea? :-/

Seems you’re piping the error output into the nirvana.
Try the following (mind the ampersand [&]):

make -j1 2>&1 | tee ~/build.log

1 Like

@tphysm: Thanks for the reply and pieces of information!

I’ve already done a few things on console, and as long as i just need to follow steps, it went ok. I’m just afraid of the mistake with no return point… But i guess, I’ll give it a shot and hope i do everything right!

I’ll let you know,
Thanks again,
oekoniko