How do I replace a module/the screen?

#The guide moved here.

###Original Post:

The modules of Fairphone 2 can be replaced very easily. You can already find little tutorials on Youtube:

How to replace the screen

• If you run into troubles try the trick explained in the pictures below.

How to replace a module

These tutorials might also be found in different places in the future :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi, the videos are private, which make makes little sense!
But actually I canā€™t remove my display module, feels like itā€™s glued on the main body, the blue clamps where slid to the middle position and I pressed really hard, but no movement at all!
Seems like it is not mine to open ļŒ

Anyone the same problem?

Did you remove the battery first?

of course!

I had the same ā€œproblemā€. Cant remove the display and iā€™m afraid of using hard pressure.
There is another thread where a couple of users report about the same issue.

1 Like

I had the same promblem at first. I massaged the phone for more than an hour, moving screen & body back and forth.
Once you opend it it will be easy the next times.

Holding the Fairphone flat between two hands (almost like when praying) and sliding them in opposite directions works. Indeed, fresh, new Fairphone 2ā€™s are the hardest to take apart.

Just be cautious with the SIM slots; those metal pins are fragileā€¦

The support team is making better videos on Monday to explain better how to remove the screen and modules. Hopefully theyā€™ll be online soon.

10 Likes

Doing that right now. With some music this is a little like rhythmic gymnastics.

6 Likes

I wouldnā€™t do that. It just wears your contacts.

1 Like

Any better ideas will be warmly welcomed :wink:

It took me just a few minutes using this technique, just trust in the strength of your phone!

2 Likes

This worked for me very quickly, too. I used a guitar pick instead of a knife though which might be a little friendlier to the materials. :smiley:

It might actually be better for the phone to carefully loosen the screen with a pick before moving back and forth (as described by @Hamm325) . This way contacts arenā€™t stressed as much. What do you think?

3 Likes

I am sure you all already know the Teardown guide of iFixit.com, right?!
https://de.ifixit.com/Guide/Fairphone+2+Demontage/52523

Hello,

IĀ“ve tried to dismounte the display but I can not manage to do it. In the tutorials, it seems to be easy but with my FP2, itĀ“s not possible. The display is like glued!!

Thanks

@Damwe I moved your post here as this topic contains some tips for you.

You can also check this thread:

1 Like

Thank you. Now itĀ“s working with your help. Great!!

1 Like

I tried it many ways but i canā€™ get the display off my fairphone. Has anyone had the same problem?

Many people had the same problem when they tried to remove the screen the first time. In this topic, some useful advice is given: FP2: Teardown & Reassemble Competition!

1 Like

Hi guys. i got a new fairphone 2 because of some troubles with the first one. so my problem. ow is that i canā€™t open the phone. the display wonā€™t letit slide off. i opened the first fp2 easily. but this oneā€™s tough. is there a special trick? the small description of fairphone just says to push and then let it slide.this is not really working. can somebody help? it reeaaaally annoys me. i was trying for half an hourā€¦nothing.

While I donā€™t need to replace the screen or any other components yet, Iā€™m a bit surprised that I canā€™t actually slide the display off to get at the components.
I feel like a bit of a plank trying to force the phone apart after unlocking with the blue switches, but has anyone else had this issue with not being able to release the screen?
Am I just being an idiot?