How will you get Jolla Sailfish onto the Fairphone 2?

Concerning Android apps: Does anyone know whether it is possible to run Threema on SFOS? There isn’t much I really need, but if it isn’t possible get this app running, then I’d rather not switch to SFOS. Which is a shame because from what I have seen online I really like it … :unamused:

1 Like

As the main porter of Sailfish to Fairphone 2 I can tell that Jolla Store does work on the Fairphone 2 port. It’s recommended to set up the account during the startup wizard so it will install the default apps. Those can be of course be installed afterwards from Jolla Store if you already have done the startup wizard in which case set up the Jolla account from Settings->Accounts->Add account. If anyone of you encounter any issues with the image please let me know.

9 Likes

If you are right: shame on me and respect to the porters and fairphone! I read a tweet of someone who said he couldn’t access it. (It was my understanding that he tried it already). Maybe he was wrong and I believed him :wink: Or maybe the original account from the Jolla-phone doesn’t work and one has to create a new one? Anyway, I am even more happy to receive my repaired FP2 tomorrow and try it out! Thanks for the information.
One point remains half-valid: lack of really paid apps which would give the ecosystem a boost. But maybe the amount of FP2, OnePlus, AquaFish (or so) users will help to improve the situation.

Very cool :smile:
Can one flattr the port? :wink:

1 Like

I use the same Jolla account on my Jolla phone, Fairphone 2 Sailfish and also on another ported Sailfish device (Xperia Pro) without problems.

1 Like

Many thanks for your work, I will try it :smile:

Me too - jolla phone and fairphone (and tablet).
And it work like a charm. Thank you mal and other porters :-).

You are lucky! The SNCF has a app in the sailfish store! Im lacking a SBB app for switzerland…
Regards, Novski

1 Like

In my case, the public transport of my city has a pretty good mobile website, even with e-tickets. Maybe you shouldtry that…

Well, I tried installing Threema as an APK from their website. It didn’twork out. There are some other installing packages, maybe you could try. I already wrote a message to Threema and asked about aport to SF OS but I don’t believe that they would do that much work for a small group like us. Normal SF users can even install Android apps so for them is no need, justfor us until april, whenthe official FP version with android app support is published. But we still can hope…!

1 Like

I don’t really understand what you mean. In my case, Jolla store worked perfectly.

Thanks for your opinion! I have my doubts too that there will be a Threema version for SFOS. So I’m just going to wait more ore less patiently what the final SFOS port will look like. :slight_smile:

1 Like

okay, i did it !
Writing to you from sailfish now, using the build available above.
So far it is all nice and pretty, but… How can I use multiple email accounts ?
Now I have my answer: very few apps available in the jolla store, android apps feel kind of required to me (at least f-droid pleaaase).

I have to say, feels weird to use this system which feels a lot like “use it how we want you to” (apple style) on a device promoting openness…

Installation was really easy though, 3 commands and 10 min to someone already having fastboot. Interesting to try !

I will keep it for now I think, ask your questions if you have some and I will do my best to give my candid feedbacks and answers.

Now lets dig in this app store…

1 Like

wow, already scrolled through all available apps…
Curiously there are 2 remote transmission clients, a base64 encoder app, but… No other browser or email client :’(

I have to say appart from this apps issue, the system feels quite nice to use. After some time to get the gestures

edit: my bad, just found out how to add other emails accounts ! Nice !

1 Like

Web cat and web pirate are alternative browsers, web pirate being the better of the two

1 Like

I will wait for the official way to put Sailfish in the Fairphone, with Alien Dalvik. Hoping it’s coming soon!

There is Fahrplan in which you can choose SBB as backend.

1 Like

What does that mean? Does it take a lot of fiddling around with the system, or can it be done easily with some commands?

In my opinion encryption is a very important aspect particularly for a mobile device.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I was so happy to install Sailfish OS instead of Android, the only problem is, since I did it, my sim card is not detected.
I put it in the slot 1 and 2 for the same result. Any idea?
Could it be because I am in New-Zealand? It use to work with Android.
Thank you for your help

There’s a few options of differing complexity I guess, most of which nobody has done any work in developing or integrating with the Sailfish UI but ultimately they should work.

Sailfish is GNU/Linux, and so any encryption methods available on various distros (dm-crypt, LUKS, TrueCrypt .etc) can be made to work, however due to the peculiarities of the Jolla Phone its a bit harder to do filesystem type stuff so not many people have been investigating this type of stuff.

1 Like

I am sure you will get used to it very fast. It is very intuitive! Only problem is that we all are used to android/iOS/whatever for several years. After my Jolla died I had to get used to iOS again, which took much longer than the other way round. I always tried to swipe to get back on my old iPhone 4 which of course doesn’t work. :wink: Additionally, on openrepos there are a lot of patches to make it work the way you want. Albeit not being completely open-source, you can customize it very much, so in fact there is a lot of openness.
I really love the workflow and are superhappy that the porters have done the work.

Have fun with it!

4 Likes