How will you get Jolla Sailfish onto the Fairphone 2?

My point is that, idf you want many users to use Sailfish OS, give thme at least a beta to install instead of Android…
Please FF and Jolla help us to go away from Google!

2 Likes

Since I am used to fiddle around with a device without all of its functions working on a daily basis, I would gladly be one of the users trying out a pre-released version of SF2 on a FP2.
I just cant find a source/tarball/whatever for this… Thats the only thing that keeps me from ordering my new FP2, I do not want to invest a single euro in another android-product.

1 Like

Good News Everyone!

The porters have given their work to Fairphone for the creation of an easy install OTA package.

Although many of us would have liked to see a pre-release package for those willing to jump through a few hoops, this appears to be at the request of Fairphone to wait for a proper release.

10 Likes

Awesome news! Do you have a source for that?

Seems that I need to spend some money today :astonished:

Nice! I just got my phone yesterday and I’m flashing Sailfish as soon as it’s availevable.

Awesome work!

Small question: what would be included in the SFOS version of this package ? In particular, I’m thinking about the proprietary stuff:

• android support
  • exchange connector
  • etc

My source is speaking directly to the community people who are doing the porting work. Mal- is the main community member in charge of the process in #sailfishos-porters and in his own words:

Whilst we have seen a Fairphone running the Android Support, there has been no official announcement on this offering, so I guess its still wait and see.

5 Likes

Can’t wait!!!

1 Like

Had somebody already tried this? It looks like they have posted something. Looks good to me. Keep in mind, it’s a community build, so do not ask Jolla for help. And no, I have not tested it myself.

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris/Install_SailfishOS_for_fp2 (281 MB)

Update: For those that hate to read :slight_smile: You have to install it on top of an existing Android using fastboot. Only userdata.img and boot.img are provided.

4 Likes

Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately I had to read this:

Status

• No dual-SIM support yet.

:frowning:

Hope that will be fixed until Sailfish OS gets released.

2 Likes

Seems it did not brick my device :P. I am in tutorial now.

Edit. It seems that the build runs fairly good, everything I have tested seems to be there (no android support). It is safe to flash IMO if you wanna try it out yourself.

4 Likes

I tested it and run in to a error i already had with my rooted Fairphone Open OS built by my self wit the 2.0.1 blobs.
The display goes dark after starting a call. No way to hook up else than hold power until the phone reboots…
Im unable to file the bug because i don’t understand where and how.
Does anybody now where to create a account to that bug list? I don’t see through all those links…
Regards, Novski

Sailfish OS itself currently lacks support for dual sim, however we know that the Intex Sailfish phone has dual sim and so this feature should be coming in the next few months.

2 Likes

This already seems to be a known error, it at least says so under status:

Possibly some issues with proximity sensor during calls.

Report bugs:
Go to the IRC (http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=mer), connect (you did not need an account) and contact lbt or sledges.
You can describe the problem.
You also can ask for a ‘Mer Account’ to file a bug report.
Greetings

Can you go back (for testing) to Google FP OS to check if your phone hardware/sim is alright? You might need to return your device or get a new sim card. I think at least with one SIM card the phone should work “normally” with all operating systems. Not that hardware issues ruin all your testing fun.

Thanks for the participation! -but im shure that it worked in the first days befor i flashed the phone. So it has to be some software pice that im lacking since then. There is at least one more voice here that described the same (no idea where i read that) so im still hoping that the new blobs ( from code.fairphone.com ) will solve that somehow. I will rebuild with the latest beta flash and test that first and then try if sailfish works as well…

If you compare the checksums of the tar bin blobs, you will see that they still the same files. The problem was they were copied to the wrong location, but we fixed that already in the wiki before FP released the new blobs.

i can’t follow. from wich blob version and what location are you talking?

Hope this helps. I compared both released bin blobs tar balls. The md5 sums are the same, only some locations (where the files get copied to) changed.