How will you get Jolla Sailfish onto the Fairphone 2?

Hi guyes,
What do you mean by “Jolla + SF2 is a really, really good product” did you install Sailfish OS on your FP2?
I just can’t wait to find a way to install Sailfish OS. I’d rather using an unstable beta version of Sailfish OS than a brand new stable version of Android.

1 Like

+1, you got me totally confused between SF1, SF2, FP2, FP3… :slight_smile:
You have your FP2 and conclude that SF2 is a really good product… I’m lost :slight_smile:

If i understand well Ikraav, the hardware part sould be updated with better specifications, thats one thing.
On the software part, he is probably talking about SF 2.0, a major update of sailfish that has been released around september 2015 if i am correct

Heya. Sorry for confusing wording. :slight_smile: Here’s another try without abbreviations.

No, I don’t have Sailfish on the my Fairphone 2 yet. Looking forward to the first libhybris port release announcement, just like everyone else (no time to play around… them pesky clients demand attention).

But not a day goes by that I don’t miss Jolla + Sailfish 2. Android just plain sucks now that I have experienced Sailfish 2. Sailfish both looks better, feels better, works better, for me.

The Jolla phone was also much better sized. I thought it was slightly too big compared to my trusty Nokia N9 (which was near-ideal sized), but it turns out Jolla was quite OK, because this Fairphone 2 is a massive brick. Just not comfortable to use nor cute to look at.

But I’m willing to live with the brick sized hardware until a more appropriate option comes along. It always does, fortunately.

Conclusion is still the same: need Sailfish 2 on fast, reliable hardware.

My point is that, if you want many users to use SailFish OS, it would need some way to install it aside Android, with boot choice. The same way one gets trying linux, and starts using windows less and less over time.
I’m not sure how tricky it would be, given we have source codes for fairphone open source OS ?

2 Likes

There is a hack for this, but FP does not have the manpower to support this. They are having a hard time supporting the two released phones already.

me too. Just having Android without Google. It’s so troubeling to use an OS which is meant for a specific company without using the company’s solutions. I would pay fpr Sailfish OS, too!

2 Likes

My point is that, idf you want many users to use Sailfish OS, give thme at least a beta to install instead of Android…
Please FF and Jolla help us to go away from Google!

2 Likes

Since I am used to fiddle around with a device without all of its functions working on a daily basis, I would gladly be one of the users trying out a pre-released version of SF2 on a FP2.
I just cant find a source/tarball/whatever for this… Thats the only thing that keeps me from ordering my new FP2, I do not want to invest a single euro in another android-product.

1 Like

Good News Everyone!

The porters have given their work to Fairphone for the creation of an easy install OTA package.

Although many of us would have liked to see a pre-release package for those willing to jump through a few hoops, this appears to be at the request of Fairphone to wait for a proper release.

10 Likes

Awesome news! Do you have a source for that?

Seems that I need to spend some money today :astonished:

Nice! I just got my phone yesterday and I’m flashing Sailfish as soon as it’s availevable.

Awesome work!

Small question: what would be included in the SFOS version of this package ? In particular, I’m thinking about the proprietary stuff:

• android support
  • exchange connector
  • etc

My source is speaking directly to the community people who are doing the porting work. Mal- is the main community member in charge of the process in #sailfishos-porters and in his own words:

Whilst we have seen a Fairphone running the Android Support, there has been no official announcement on this offering, so I guess its still wait and see.

5 Likes

Can’t wait!!!

1 Like

Had somebody already tried this? It looks like they have posted something. Looks good to me. Keep in mind, it’s a community build, so do not ask Jolla for help. And no, I have not tested it myself.

https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris/Install_SailfishOS_for_fp2 (281 MB)

Update: For those that hate to read :slight_smile: You have to install it on top of an existing Android using fastboot. Only userdata.img and boot.img are provided.

4 Likes

Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately I had to read this:

Status

• No dual-SIM support yet.

:frowning:

Hope that will be fixed until Sailfish OS gets released.

2 Likes

Seems it did not brick my device :P. I am in tutorial now.

Edit. It seems that the build runs fairly good, everything I have tested seems to be there (no android support). It is safe to flash IMO if you wanna try it out yourself.

4 Likes

I tested it and run in to a error i already had with my rooted Fairphone Open OS built by my self wit the 2.0.1 blobs.
The display goes dark after starting a call. No way to hook up else than hold power until the phone reboots…
Im unable to file the bug because i don’t understand where and how.
Does anybody now where to create a account to that bug list? I don’t see through all those links…
Regards, Novski

Sailfish OS itself currently lacks support for dual sim, however we know that the Intex Sailfish phone has dual sim and so this feature should be coming in the next few months.

2 Likes