How to root the Fairphone 3?

Thanks @AnotherElk, your post links to this thread that answers this question, and also a lot of others :slight_smile:

:+1: Maybe you should insert a step to unlock the bootloader.

1 Like

Thanks for this solution guide!
But I have one question: After step 7 I want to lock the bootloader again.

When I do this, I can’t boot anymore, because Android says “Your device is corrrupt”.
I guess, this is, because I changed the boot partition with these steps. But how can I solve this problem?

Do you mean this screen (sorry, low resolution image grabbed from the internet)? …

grafik

If it is this screen in your case … just press the power button to continue booting (before the phone gets rebooted automatically after 30 seconds).
If you want to get rid of this screen, you can do it with ADB once Android or TWRP are booted …

No, that’s the message, I get, when I unlocked the bootloader.
But now, I know, what I did wrong. It is impossible to lock the bootloader, again after installing magisk. Am I right?

I don’t use Magisk, but …

1 Like

Personally, I’m afraid of rooting and technically it maker our smartphones vulnerable. So, I staretd to use VirtualXposed APK sometimes ago. It can run some of Xposed modules and helps to customize some apps. Honestly, it doesn’t offer all the root benefits.But, enough to have what I want from my device.Hope my personal experience will be useful for someone else here

1 Like

After installing Magisk and locking the phone again something went wrong and I was back in the google-environment. I flashed twrp and lineage again, but now I can’t connect to my computer, because it says ‘waiting for debugger’ in developer options. I tried to find a solution, but I couldn’t find one which could help me. Maybe somebody knows how to fix this?

No, this already is what went wrong. Don’t lock the bootloader.

3 Likes

Hey @AnotherElk, tnx :-).

Lineage works just fine now, except for the ‘debugger’. I wanted to install Magisk to be able to root my phone, because I wanted AFWall+ to work. I read the ‘Magisk’ link you send. I presume that is just fine to do (I will not lock the bootloader again ;-)). Do you think there is a solution to get the debugger working again? Or is this functionality gone forever?

tnx again.

Update:
It seems I can make a connection with the phone in ‘recovery’. With ./adb devices in terminal it says: ’
List of devices attached
[number] unauthorized

When I write ./adb sideload Magisk-v20.4.zip in terminal I get:

adb: sideload connection failed: device unauthorized.
This adb server’s $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set
Try ‘adb kill-server’ if that seems wrong.
Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.
adb: trying pre-KitKat sideload method…
adb: pre-KitKat sideload connection failed: device unauthorized.
This adb server’s $ADB_VENDOR_KEYS is not set
Try ‘adb kill-server’ if that seems wrong.
Otherwise check for a confirmation dialog on your device.
'adb sideload connection failed: device unauthorized /

Maybe this information help in solving the problem.

Or should I do a factory reset? The last time I got back to google I got the debugger-problem so it seems that resetting is not the solution (?).

That means that you once have to access the phone via adb during normal system start. Then on the phone there should be a pop-up asking for permission to allow USB debugging from this computer (select the checkbox to always allow this computer).

1 Like

Hi @Ingo, accessing the phone during normal start is the problem (waiting for debugging). Or do I not understand you well? Do you mean that I have to try to make ‘during’ normal system start? How does that work?
Or did you mean to make a normal system start, make the connection and so on in the normal way. I tried it this way, but that still doesn’t work. I don’t get a pop-up for USB debugging permission.

Hi all,

the solution above does not seem to work. I don’t get a pop-up asking for permission to allow USB debugging.

I installed TWRP and LOS 17.1. I unlocked the phone, flashed Magisk en locked the phone again. The last step was apparently the the problem. I did a factory reset. Got back to Google. Then I was able to manage to unlock the phone again via fastboot and flash TWRP and LOS again. I could do this while ADB said I have an unauthorized phone.

Is the above to say that my phone is bricked? I mean, I have a working FP3 (with LOS) installed.

The only problem is that I am not able to connect the phone via adb. I tried a lot to fix the problem via information on several threads of xda-developers and stackoverflow.

And if there is no solution for this, please let me know!!

btw my bootloader is unlocked

btw 2. I tried to install Magisk in this way:

But that didn’t work either, because I got stuck at step 8. 'And finally install MagiskManager-v7.5.1.apk

Do you have a notification saying “USB debugging activated”?
You can try to go in the developer settings, tap on “Revoke USB debugging authorizations” and try again.

If you can access fastboot mode, your phone isn’t bricked.

What do you mean you got stuck? You didn’t manage to download the apk?

Hi Alex,

tnx :-). I can access fastboot mode. The thing is I that when I try to start twrp via fastboot boot (in this way ‘./fastboot boot twrp-3.4.0.0-FP3.img’) I get the following message in terminal:

< waiting for any device >

So, that’s where I got stuck…

Why ./ in front of the command? There is no need for it.

A little remark: It’s 3.4.0-0. I hope it’s just a copy paste problem.

It’s a mac (mini). Terminal doesn’t recognize just ‘fastboot’. With 3.4.0-0 I (still?) get the same message ‘waiting for any device’.

btw adb recognizes my phone now.

If adb recognizes your phone that means you are not in fastboot mode. Are you sure you are in fastboot?

1 Like

ah, tnx man! I feel so stupid, but ok. It’s solved :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello folks,

It take me me times but I succeeded. My Fairphone 3 is now rooted and I wrote a tutorial about it:

Please look at: https://adminblog.foucry.net/posts/info/root-fp3/

Thanks for reading me.

2 Likes