How to recover stock notifications sounds After update?

Hi,
I listened the list of sounds you sent me, I cannot recongnize any of these sounds, none of them was in the original notification list…
I don’t use the cloud for any app, I just reinstalled apps from Playstore, and then setted them. I didn’t dl any settings/conversations as I never used cloud savings for any app…

I understand and agree that is a misterious issue, and hard to let this go! I also sometimes try something telling myself maybe it could help to find back these ghost sonds, but it’s not…
I think only a total reset of the phone could help… Maybe after that sounds will maybe come back in the list, but i’m not sure, as you tried to look in previous versions and didn’t find anything…
So one day, if I need to reset the phone I’ll think about this helpful conversation and check the sounds list, and let you know for sure about the result! :wink:

1 Like

I know it’s a while, but I just wanted to change some phone settings via shell and remembered this thread when I saw the output. I’m on iodéOS, so the media paths will likely differ from the ones of the stock ROM. It still should be helpful to anyone trying to recover some missing sounds.
The easiest way is to use your PC and adb to run the commands.
I shortened the output of the commands to only display the relevant parts:

[max@o ~]$ adb shell settings list system
[...]
alarm_alert=content://media/internal/audio/media/240?title=Hassium&canonical=1
[...]
notification_sound=content://media/internal/audio/media/74?title=Argon&canonical=1
[...]
ringtone=content://media/internal/audio/media/146?title=Orion&canonical=1
[...]
[max@o ~]$ adb shell settings list global
[...]
car_dock_sound=/product/media/audio/ui/Dock.ogg
car_undock_sound=/product/media/audio/ui/Undock.ogg
[...]
charging_started_sound=content://media/internal/audio/media/28
[...]
desk_dock_sound=/product/media/audio/ui/Dock.ogg
desk_undock_sound=/product/media/audio/ui/Undock.ogg
[...]
lock_sound=/product/media/audio/ui/Lock.ogg
low_battery_sound=/product/media/audio/ui/LowBattery.ogg
[...]
trusted_sound=/product/media/audio/ui/Trusted.ogg
[...]
unlock_sound=/product/media/audio/ui/Unlock.ogg
[...]
wireless_charging_started_sound=content://media/internal/audio/media/25
[...]

Some of these sounds just have a number and an attached “title” parameter, so most likely the sound in question lost it’s title attribute somehow. So this would be the way to find the media file again.
Besides global and system, you can query a third namespace secure. but in my case, it didn’t contain any configured sounds, so I didn’t list it here.

edit: And like I wrote, my goal was to change some settings. So you could use the settings command to even change sound which aren’t accessible via the UI, just type settings help for the options.

edit2: It’s not that easy, it seems. The sounds starting with content://media seem to be referencing the MediaStore  |  Android Developers . I haven’t found a quick way to query it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.