How to get rid of the volume nanny

I thought this thing was going to be easy but I was wrong. I have been trying to get rid of the volume nanny that warns you that you shouldn’t turn the volume up so high when listening to headphones.

This bug makes the assumption that you are using low impedance ear buds and not more open earphones with a higher impedance.

At any rate. It is fairly easy to work around this on a lot of phones. So far however I have been unable to rid myself of this annoyance after several attempts, all ending in a bricked phone that doesn’t like my modifying one integer in the framework-res.apk file.

Has anyone figured out a way to work with this baby? It seems to shrug off ADB. It won’t install flashable .zip files. Is there some sort of Applesque secret handshake that I need here? I have WAY too many hours of fail in this.

1 Like

Ha! Never mind!

For those who wish to rid themselves of the evil volume nanny. I succeeded as follows. First I went here.enter link description here Then I tried and failed on a number of attempts. to do this:

1. Grab your framework-res.apk file from /system/framework/framework-res.apk using either adb or root explorer on your device
  2. Using APKTool decompile framework-res.apk
  3. Once decompiled directory.
  4. Navigate to the file framework-res.apk/res/values/integers.xml YOU MUST USE NOTEPAD++ DO NOT USE MS NOTEPAD (Linux users need not worry)
  5. Find the following “10”
  6. Change the “10” to a “20”
  7. Save the changes to the xml file
  8. Recompile the framework-res.apk with APKTool
    WARNING: BEYOND THIS POINT THERE BE DRAGONS!
  9. Using adb or a flashable zip, put the framework-res.apk back to your device by:

adb remount

adb push /system/framework/framework-res.apk

adb shell chmod 644 /system/framework/framework-res.apk

1. Reboot device and test :slight_smile:

Do not play with the dragons. Do this instead.

Take newly compiled apk.
Open with 7zip.
Copy the resources.arsc to desktop.
Open ORIGINAL (make a copy so you still have original) delete the resources.arsc file.
Go to your desktop.
Copy resources.arsc file to the ORIGINAL.

Then push to device. Should work.

To “push the file to your device” I found that I had to use ES File Explorer" (an App)

Go about nine minutes into this video and he’ll show you how to get 'er done. His app looks a little different. But it works the same. I found that the permissions were as they should have been when I checked.

Glad you answered this. The safe volume control is there to protect your ears rather than headphones, but you can disable as you’ve shown. I’ve wiki’d your post if anyone wants to contribute further to this