[HOW TO] Flash a custom ROM on FP3 with GSI

Oh. Ok. I flash only one boot slot and I boot on this after ?

And for backup, the by-default behaviour of twrp backup is “data” and “boot” back up. Should I leave so (for any reason I wouldn’t udnerstand), or just select data is enough ?

(thanks for all your answers pigpig, after my problems for rooting my phone, i’ve lost hope for controlling my phone, and now I power up thanks to you :smiley: )

The flash.sh script will boot to bootloader on the flashed slot. You only need to do a backup of your data :slight_smile:

I’ve just successed update and no user data were during this ! Thanks to you for all ! A last question : how to get a terminal with root access with a rooted phone ?

Now : kill the unnecessary gapps ! :pirate_flag:

You can use a terminal emulator like termux, or use adb. You should use the magisk app manager to control su.

Actually, If you want to get rid of gapps, I suggest you to use a custom ROM (e.g. LOS 16 or Arrow OS) using the GSI, at least for the moment . An official release of /e/ will come soon for the FP3 (and I guess LOS too). If you want to stay on the stock ROM, there is another thread listing the app to disable (or to remove, but be careful :wink: )

I have the magisk app, and I know termux (but I didn’t know that it could be use with root :3).

I didn’t find anymore the post on which users were listing the gapps they have removed, would you have the link to ? >.<" researches on the forum gives nothing

edit : i wait for /e/, but due to the problems I’ve encountered, I’ll wait a bit before rehaving funny with my phone :slight_smile: (thanks again for all your answers and kindness !)

There is also a su wrapper for termux tsu.

Check this thread : Telemetry, Spyware, list of privacy threats on FP3 Android 9

Using a GSI will be a way easier and less buggy than disabling everything (I tried, dialer app was buggy, you have to use a PIN and not a password to unlock the phone etc.)

Hi folks,
really great work. I have 2 questions: Which of the listed Custom roms would you suggest for daily use? (is there any)

Which file do I have to flash whether I want to use [AOSP 9.0 v123] (https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/releases/tag/v123)

Is it for example this file :system-quack-arm64-ab-vanilla.img.xz
or: system-quack-arm-aonly-vanilla.img.xz

So what is die difference between a_only and ab?

THX!

There is two types of devices A/B slots and A_only slot (only one slot). The FP3 is A/B slots device :wink: , so it would be arm64-ab !

Actually, you can use LOS16 or arrow OS, until there is an official custom ROM (they’re not maintained)

Thanks for the fast answer!

What about Aosp9?

I didn’t try, but someone did. And apparently, it worked :wink:

1 Like

Linage OS 16 installation works like a charm. Thanks for your how to. I just struggeled a little with the gapps / treble wizard. They crashed everytime during the initial setup. After that I booted into TWRP and wiped dalvik cache and DATA.

This confronted me with an error at bootup (device cannot be booted, cause of some troubles with the data partition. The device suggested a factory reset, which I did.

Now it seems like to run like a charm. I will do further investigation.

Best thing about it is, that the notification LEDS seem to work!

Perhaps i get rid of the annoying reboots during I am phoning too (happened to me for about 3 weeks now.)

1 Like

Hi,
anyone of you made it through the safety net check successfully? I cannot use my banking app etc. now.

So i tried it with Magisk and this one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-6Y3WyxVRo

But if I alter the fingerprint via magisk hideprops config and do a reboot, the FP3 seems like to bootloop at the linage os animation.

I can only get it to boot if I delete the hideprops module folder via TWRP filemanager.

Any tip is very welcome.

Hi - I’ve tried flashing Lineage OS 16 (two versions) and /e/ and haven’t had any success with any of them. TWRP went in OK, but I couldn’t boot into system. After the “It was not possible to check your phone for corruption - please lock the bootloader” load screen with /e/ I then got the logo and bouncing ball. With LOS I just get the FAIRPHONE logo. Waited about 20 minutes with each, nothing happened.

Tried it first by booting into TWRP from the image, then I tried installing TWRP and Magisk to see if that helped, it didn’t.

So next I tried a tutorial I found on HowToGeek:

Result is that I can no longer boot into TWRP, nor can I get slot:success Yes on either slot. I can get into fastboot and I’ve managed to boot into the TWRP image a few times but most of the time the boot command fails (“unknown reason”).

Seems like I bricked it, huh? Anyone got any advice?

Did you really follow the steps mentioned at the beginning of this topic? Did you use a GSI version mentioned there?
There’s no /e/ versión for FP3 yet! So what image did you flash??
You may try to unbrick your device following the topic

Please first read and only act after reading!

2 Likes

Hi - thanks for replying. Yes, I followed the steps at the start of this topic, with the results I described. I didn’t follow that unbricking tutorial because I can get into fastboot, just not recovery / TWRP. I’ll try flashing the stock ROM back.

The /e/ version is one of the GSIs listed on the link at the start of this thread, where it says “here is a list”.

Hey, i tried the flash.sh script step by step:
everything is okay until i get

xxx@xxx /cygdrive/c/adb
$ fastboot flash vendor_a vendor.img
Segmentation fault

xxx@xxx/cygdrive/c/adb
$ fastboot flash system_a system.img
error: cannot load ‘system.img’

I test the rest of it, it’s okay. Could you help me :slight_smile: ? @pigpig

I wonder one thing: is that true thaht we can’t install/flash a custom rom without having the stock rom ? Due to success state of both slots ? Good evening :)))

Please add the -S argument for system and vendor -S 522239K.
A segfault is really weird. Do you use the last version of fastboot? Maybe you should try with a linux live usb

1 Like

It works! following your advice i’ve done it with a linux live usb, flash both slots, erase data, and then it finally work :slight_smile: thank you very much !

1 Like

Hi,
I would like to test LOS 16 GIS on Fairphone 3 for daily and stable use. My FP3 arrived almost 2 months ago and still has not been turned on, using the Android stock version is not acceptable for me for privacy reasons.
Reading this post it seems to me that the most stable version is lineage-16.0-20191017-UNOFFICIAL-treble_arm64_bvN.img.xz from sourceforge.net/projects/andyyan-gsi/files/lineage-16.x/
I would like to know if hash files (md5 sums or sha256 or other) are available for these LOS16 GIS versions. No info about on sourceforge.
Thanks!