How slow is your FP2? (For all FP2 owners!)

It’s definitively faster and heating less with more memory. Let’s see how usability changes in the longer term.

1 Like

Hi all, here my answers…
Q1 → Android 10, 22.08.0-rel.0
Q2 → C/D → slow and sometimes extremely slow, apps freezing sometimes, interface too (hard reset needed). This since 2 years
Q3 → C

1 Like

Q1: Latest Fairphone OS - i.e. Android 10
Q2: Slow down is excruciating sometimes. I’ve had my phone for 6 years and the difference is huge. I agree with others that turning on WiFi causes big slow-down (I presume as apps sync with the cloud), but recently the slow-down has been for everything. I wonder if the apps I have installed (quite a lot) are running in the background most of the time and using precious RAM.
Q3: D: very annoying.

I’m in the process of a factory reset, but I might try another OS. A factory reset has helped me in the past, but I’d like to test drive another OS anyway and this will give me a chance. I’ll try /e/OS I think.

1 Like

Android 11, LineageOS 18.1-20220716-microG-FP2

D) Extremely slow, e.g: many apps repeatedly freeze, including low-performance apps or the GUI interface

C) It’s annoying

Additional remarks:

• I’m still using my FP2 as a daily driver
  • I completely reset the phone when changing from LOS 17.1 to 18.1, i.e. did a clean install
  • The phone was not a significantly quicker directly after the 18.1 installation (some months ago), but the System-UI & app freezes returned quite quickly afterwards
  • Internal storage is occupied 46%, external SD card is occupied 51%

Unfortunately, it has improved but not enough to make it usable. I’m thinking about going back to Android 9.

No harm trying, good luck! I’m experimenting with different OSes at the moment. Have tried Ubuntu Touch, /e/ and Fairphone Open OS.

Well, unfortunately it was impossible to use it with OS 10, too many crashes, freezes, and battery rundowns. I’m now back to Android 9, and it’s clearly much more stable and faster, as it used to be before the upgrade.

1 Like
  1. Android 10, 22.08.0-rel.0
  2. No noticeable slowdown
  3. Not at all
2 Likes

1 Android 10, 22.08.0-rel.0
2 C) Slow
3 B) It doesn’t bother me that much

The FP2 is not my main phone.

1 Like
  1. Android 10
  2. D
  3. D

Welcome to the community forum.

1 Like

I’m on android 10, 22.08.0-rel.0

It has got very slow at times, but after a factory reset and some pruning of applications and not using too much memory and stuff its now good most (but not all) of the time.

When I first turn it on (or it first gets a data connection) it is unusably slow for a few minutes, I think while everything checks for updates and things.

Is there a way to stop certain applications doing things unless I explicitly open them? There are some apps that I only use occasionally, but kind of still want, and some of them pop up at this time saying that they are not responsive, which is stupid really, because I don’t want them to be doing anything.

Thanks, Cedd

On my FP2 I use Android 10 Build 22.08.0-rel.0
It is extremly slow. it takes several seconds to open an app. And even when I touch an icon it sometime reacts only after repeated attempts. This is very annoying.

Welcome to the community forum.

1 Like

here are my answers to your additional questions:

A) checked whether a lot of the phone’s storage is full?
storage usage is 43% - 18 GB are still free

B) checked the [#sdcardguide] for possible SD card trouble?
since last year I had a SD card in the slot. But I removed it before the factory reset.

C) done a [factory reset ]?
Indeed I did it in spring. After that the phone was very fast (with only a few apps). But since one of the previous OS updates it is very slow.

D) [wiped the phone and installed it from scratch ]?
no

E) taken other measures to remedy slowness? Which ones?
no. Can you give me the name of of your favorite tool?

1 Like

This is more like a placeholder for ideas not already mentioned.
If all else fails, my favourite tool is wiping the phone and installing from scratch :wink: . (And not because it’s my favourite spare time activity, but because it’s a promising approach.)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.