How long do you plan on keeping your Fairphone?

Yes, but for sure I wouldn’t say this is due to an intention of Fairphone to being not fair or doing marketing and lie to its customers… :smile:
I think the biggest difference between Fairphone and other companies is that users can complain and being listened, while other companies send a classic mail template “we apologize for this problem and we will do the best as possible to solve it” doing almost nothing but providing a new shining phone edition lighter, faster, bigger than ever!

@LittleWhorle: I really do not understand what you’re talking about… :neutral_face: Bugs? My FP1 works perfectly… not a single hiccup since I started using it. Buying a Fairphone is not about buying the latest hardware or techniques. It’s about a philosophy; an attitude toward the conscience- less consumer- society. Specs were fully available when this fabulous phone came on the market. Only (VERY minor -to me, that is-) point is, not being able to upgrade to the latest Android. But then again… hey, my Nokia 3310 has lasted me for many, many years w/o even thinking of an upgrade! Of course, I too would like, having a contraption (phone, car, TV… you name it) with the latest gimmics and the best specs. But never… and do I mean NEVER if that would mean doing concessions to Fairness; giving in to consumerism and -for instance- looking away from child- labor.
It’s a bit like buying organic food-products: you can’t always taste the difference, but at least, you know that your choice causes as little animal suffering and environmental damage as possible. Yeap… you’ll pay twice the price or more. But so be it. :grinning: I’d rather eat less, than having to live with the idea that I’d have compromised my principles away. But that’s a choice, each and everyone needs to make for him/herself.

4 Likes

I think to keep it (my future Fairphone 2) until it become unusable, and it’s depend a lot from how many updates there will be and about how many community driven project there will be about. I hope for a very long life, at least 3 or 4 years…

Usually try to keep phones 2+ years, hope to keep my Fairphone a bit longer then pass it on to someone else and upgrade to whatever FP version is out.

Heyho,

quite an old post, but here you complain, that you miss “Folders at the home screens”.
I guess you already figured out, but just to be safe:
just drop one icon exatly over another will create folders. That’s it!
It is no special FP but the normal Android 4.2 behaviour I think.

Cheers, Robert

2 Likes

It’s kind of amazing to think that in 4 months time my FP1 is already 2 years old and it’s still alive and kicking and ready for at least another 2 years :smile:

I’m also pretty sure that now is a great time to keep your phone longer than 2 years. Since the release of FP1, nothing has significantly changed in the mobile phone space. Sure, screens got yet a little bigger, CPU’s just a little faster and memory just a little gigabytier, but no real advancement were made with what you can do with your phone.

Fingerprint scanners are just a gimmick, NFC is still something nobody really uses and most attention has turned towards the smartwatch fad, probably because there are no real eye catching advancements to be made in the phones department anymore.

My FP1 is still as potent as it was nearly 2 years ago and I’m pretty sure it will mostly still be 2 years from now, despite the lack of recent Android versions.

4 Likes

Agreed but that was not at all my point. I want to keep using it until it is dead. But if it starts out behind, it will be useless long before its electronics fail.

You are lucky. Maybe I got a dud. Mine is so buggy it’ borderline unusable. One example, of the MANY. In typing this reply, my battery has gone from 30 to 15% in one jump, and is now counting down at 1%/second. It’s not really dead, but it thinks it is, so it might as well be since the phone shuts off.
Also if I tilt the screen the current app sometimes closes. Lock screen music controls flicker and disappear. When I load text messages, it takes a full minute to display the names of the contact . Again since I rarely use it, it’s not because there are so many messages in there. The stock mail app no longer works with yahoo mail because it’s not secure enough. The headphone jack is not great- the connection must be loose. Happens with various headphones. I have posted in many other threads the various problems I have had with this thing.

As mentioned above, the home button needs to be moved down a bit since it is often hit accidentally when I hit the space bar. Also mentioned above the case doesn’t fit well and in addition is missing the little bumps inside for volume so those buttons don’t work with the case on. There are WiFi issues. There are privacy issues (I have to install Xprivacy or similar apps to limit apps from basic things like access to location, which is not user friendly even to someone who is reasonably tech-savvy). The audio quality is not great and the volume output is too low when connected to external speakers.

On the other hand I find the screen and soft buttons far too sensitive. Just holding the phone in my hands it often thinks I have pressed one of the buttons when I haven’t. Except when you actually do click on something and it doesn’t register . Sigh. And that menu thing that comes when you swipe from the side, how to disable it?

I could go on…

Anyway it was a good idea and I hope it works out for them with future releases. I’m happy I supported their campaign and ideals from the beginning. But I learned my lesson to NEVER buy the first model of anything new unless I am wealthy enough to be able to treat it as a disposable item.

I’d really love to sell it, but honestly who would buy it? And I wouldn’t feel right taking money for this thing.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the stock Fairphone browser is not advanced enough to allow participation in this forum? LOL

I’ve had no trouble with the fourm on the browser.

I intend to give my phone to my grand-neice and nephews on my death bed.

“This is what we used in my day!”

1 Like

Well, to be honest: I did have my doubts, especially related to lack of updates, but so far my FP1 is still up & running without issues. So the first 2.5 years have been reached; curious to see how much longer it will last.

1 Like

KitKat is on its way:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/call-for-testers-of-android-4-4alpha-for-fairphone-1/19411

:smiley:

4 Likes

Wow, that’s wonderful news. I never expected that any more :smile:

1 Like

When I bought FP1, my first and only smart phone, my plan was (and still is) to use it for at least 10 years. So I really hope the dev team will keep (as much as possible) in sync with the latest Android versions. Can’t wait for KitKat update…

1 Like

With any luck, new and improved modules will be released within the next 4 years that keep my FP2 in good nick. So really, the length of use is pretty much indefinite!

I was going to have my fair phone for 5 years. I have allready bought me a new mobile. My fair phone 2 has all sorts of problems and can not be used. I sent a support ticket on May 21, two months later I still have not received any response. So my fair phone got an early death. Fair Phone support is very poor. Because of this, my contention is that fair phone is not sustainable at all. Never a fair phone again. Want a mobile that is sustainable and fair buy one dumb phone or feaure phone.en will last at least 6-10 years.

Please put your ticketnumber in this thread as it will speed up a reply from support on workdays.

Yep, all my words too. (what a match…)

I couldn´t forget the pictures of dumps
for (electronic) waste in africa where kids have to live with.
As long as FP can deliver spare parts too. Camera module most probably will be designed to fit into FP2. Otherwise I would wonder about FPs intension for modularity

(I removed my comments, they are easily misunderstood.)

I just leave the link to the pictures. :slight_smile:

http://inheritthedust.nickbrandt.com/

"Lean back, your life is on track."

My Fairphone 1 turns 2 today! :wink:

The feller on the right can give you an idea how long I have held on to previous phones of mine. :sunglasses:

5 Likes