How long do you plan on keeping your Fairphone?

Agreed but that was not at all my point. I want to keep using it until it is dead. But if it starts out behind, it will be useless long before its electronics fail.

You are lucky. Maybe I got a dud. Mine is so buggy itā€™ borderline unusable. One example, of the MANY. In typing this reply, my battery has gone from 30 to 15% in one jump, and is now counting down at 1%/second. Itā€™s not really dead, but it thinks it is, so it might as well be since the phone shuts off.
Also if I tilt the screen the current app sometimes closes. Lock screen music controls flicker and disappear. When I load text messages, it takes a full minute to display the names of the contact . Again since I rarely use it, itā€™s not because there are so many messages in there. The stock mail app no longer works with yahoo mail because itā€™s not secure enough. The headphone jack is not great- the connection must be loose. Happens with various headphones. I have posted in many other threads the various problems I have had with this thing.

As mentioned above, the home button needs to be moved down a bit since it is often hit accidentally when I hit the space bar. Also mentioned above the case doesnā€™t fit well and in addition is missing the little bumps inside for volume so those buttons donā€™t work with the case on. There are WiFi issues. There are privacy issues (I have to install Xprivacy or similar apps to limit apps from basic things like access to location, which is not user friendly even to someone who is reasonably tech-savvy). The audio quality is not great and the volume output is too low when connected to external speakers.

On the other hand I find the screen and soft buttons far too sensitive. Just holding the phone in my hands it often thinks I have pressed one of the buttons when I havenā€™t. Except when you actually do click on something and it doesnā€™t register . Sigh. And that menu thing that comes when you swipe from the side, how to disable it?

I could go onā€¦

Anyway it was a good idea and I hope it works out for them with future releases. Iā€™m happy I supported their campaign and ideals from the beginning. But I learned my lesson to NEVER buy the first model of anything new unless I am wealthy enough to be able to treat it as a disposable item.

Iā€™d really love to sell it, but honestly who would buy it? And I wouldnā€™t feel right taking money for this thing.

Does anyone else find it ironic that the stock Fairphone browser is not advanced enough to allow participation in this forum? LOL

Iā€™ve had no trouble with the fourm on the browser.

I intend to give my phone to my grand-neice and nephews on my death bed.

ā€œThis is what we used in my day!ā€

1 Like

Well, to be honest: I did have my doubts, especially related to lack of updates, but so far my FP1 is still up & running without issues. So the first 2.5 years have been reached; curious to see how much longer it will last.

1 Like

KitKat is on its way:

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/call-for-testers-of-android-4-4alpha-for-fairphone-1/19411

:smiley:

4 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s wonderful news. I never expected that any more :smile:

1 Like

When I bought FP1, my first and only smart phone, my plan was (and still is) to use it for at least 10 years. So I really hope the dev team will keep (as much as possible) in sync with the latest Android versions. Canā€™t wait for KitKat updateā€¦

1 Like

With any luck, new and improved modules will be released within the next 4 years that keep my FP2 in good nick. So really, the length of use is pretty much indefinite!

I was going to have my fair phone for 5 years. I have allready bought me a new mobile. My fair phone 2 has all sorts of problems and can not be used. I sent a support ticket on May 21, two months later I still have not received any response. So my fair phone got an early death. Fair Phone support is very poor. Because of this, my contention is that fair phone is not sustainable at all. Never a fair phone again. Want a mobile that is sustainable and fair buy one dumb phone or feaure phone.en will last at least 6-10 years.

Please put your ticketnumber in this thread as it will speed up a reply from support on workdays.

Yep, all my words too. (what a matchā€¦)

I couldnĀ“t forget the pictures of dumps
for (electronic) waste in africa where kids have to live with.
As long as FP can deliver spare parts too. Camera module most probably will be designed to fit into FP2. Otherwise I would wonder about FPs intension for modularity

(I removed my comments, they are easily misunderstood.)

I just leave the link to the pictures. :slight_smile:

http://inheritthedust.nickbrandt.com/

"Lean back, your life is on track."

My Fairphone 1 turns 2 today! :wink:

The feller on the right can give you an idea how long I have held on to previous phones of mine. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

ā€œLong may you run ā€¦ā€ I recommend patching up the usb port a bit before it starts to develop issues.

1 Like

Iā€™ll keep my Fairphone 2 until I get annoyed enough about the lack of NFC for Android Pay, unless thereā€™s some form of back cover or similar replacement part that I can buy to get the NFC as an addition to the phone. Iā€™d even happily pay a crowd funder for it like the pre-payment of the phone.

2 Likes

Hi, if you donā€™t use it any more, Iā€™d be more than happy to keep it and try to repair it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The phone is sendt back to Fairphone for replacement/repair

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Dear all,

Owning my FP1U for more than 2 years now. No problems so far. :innocent:

It was since a couple of months ago when I discovered my phone wasnā€™t compatible with fitness trackers (due to the Android version (4.2.x) of FP1U; my fitness-tracker needs 4.3 or higher) :confounded:. That was a bit of a dillema point to me. I want to support the idea of using a device as long as possible, however, I unfortunately also getting more and more into fitness-tracking-modus.

Soā€¦I was seriously considering ordering a FP2. However, then this happened: https://forum.fairphone.com/t/closed-call-for-testers-of-android-4-4alpha-for-fairphone-1/19411

Meaning: Iā€™ll wait a bit and will (hopefully soon) be able to kill two birds with one stone: keep on using my FP1U for (at least) another year running Andriod 4.4, while tracking my fitness activities!

1 Like