How do quotes work?

When I reply on a message and press “quote whole post” it looks-like it is nice quoted. But when I sent the message I do not see the quotes in the message, only my own text.

How can I keep the quotes?

Bye,
Paul

I haven’t seen the option to post whole quotes ?? And if in an immediate reply I think it is overrriden, trncated or even removed.

So under what circumstances are you trying to quote a whole post?

Here is my ‘full post’ quote via highlighting and clicking on quote

It’s the first button on the authoring toolbar:

In most cases, you don’t really need to re-post whole posts. To my mind, it’s best to select short extracts and use the “Quote” function that appears just above the highlighted text, so that you can reply point by point as I’m doing here:

In all cases, using this function, if you really need to, you can highlight the whole of the text you want to quote and use the
function that appears.

In normal circumstances, when you want to indicate that you are replying to a specific post in the thread, it’s best to use the “Reply” function just below the relevant post. This will activate a function that allows readers to temporarily display the whole post, without wasting space and storage by repeating the data in your own post.

5 Likes

Ah, that’s the way other people do it I guess. What I normally do since 1994 is “quote everything”, and remove by hand what’s not needed. But that does not work in this forum.

I must say I don’t like forums at all, I like to use my own programs. I guess it’s not possible to use this forum using e.g. NNTP or as a mailing list?

Bye,
Paul

1 Like

OK @OldRoutard I think I noted it didn’t work, a long time ago, and so don’t use it and since have forgotten it’s ‘useless’ existence.

Well I’ve been using them and don’t generally have a problem with forums, but it has taken a long time to get used to this ‘Discourse’ layout and functions.

As far as running my own I have used b2evolution since 2008 but development has all but ground to a halt around php 7.4 with only a recent security update. But otherwise it’s great, multiple blogs, mailing options, even shop options…

But you’re not suggesting you’d like to offer an alternative to to this for the Fairphone, are you ? :slight_smile:

You can enable Mailing list mode under Preferences → Email → Enable mailing list mode.

According to the Discourse forum here’s what it does:

In mailing list mode you will receive one email per post, as happens with traditional mailing lists. This is desirable if you prefer to interact via email, without visiting the forum website.

3 Likes

Hmm, interesting! Not such a bad forum software :wink:

Bye,
Paul

3 Likes

Hmm, interesting! Not such a bad forum software 

Discourse was designed by old mailing list hands who wanted to keep mailing lists working, in conjunction with forums, for as long as possible :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.