How can I donate to Fairphone?

Hey! I know they’re for profit, but still, I don’t want to buy anything, just support them, and don’t have time to do much community stuff.

Can I donate?

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As this is just a user forum you could ask Fairphone, or more simply you could buy a friend a phone :slight_smile:

email: support@fairphone.com

Sales are a bigger support than cash, it involves another person :slight_smile:

You may also have a #fairphoneangel near you that can ‘help’ support is a demanding and time consuming effort.

1 Like

We actually had a short exchange (in German language, don’t miss the follow-up replies there if you can understand them) over how those who cannot afford a Fairphone could be supported by the community or rather voluntary top-up payments. If such donation wishes were/became more frequent, maybe we could at one point bring the two suggestions together.

6 Likes

The problem with this is abuse. If, like the proposal says, Fairphone did it, so they could have a verification flow or something, to be sure no “rich person buys all phones for cheap”, I’d totally be into that and would pay a bit extra so that other people could have access to cheaper prices :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I thought about that, too. However, perhaps we even agree that making sure that someone is “deserving” of such a treat is really tricky in more than one way. So for my part, I tend to like the idea of a lottery more (I guess we would never have enough donations to satisfy all wishes anyway) to avoid the judgement factor.

If the Community Forum were involved in this, I was wondering if reaching the Member trust level could serve as a prerequisite for those entering such a lottery. I know it takes a little effort to become a “Member”, but in my eyes this is appropriate to show you are really interested in a Fairphone. But beyond that, yes, it would still demand that those entering the lottery would honestly assess themselves if they really cannot afford a Fairphone otherwise.

Requirements to become a forum "Member"

Get to trust level 2 by…

• Visiting at least 15 days, not sequentially
  • Casting at least 1 like
  • Receiving at least 1 like
  • Replying to at least 3 different topics
  • Entering at least 20 topics
  • Reading at least 100 posts
  • Spend a total of 60 minutes reading posts
3 Likes

I guess it would be too much overhead, but maybe it is somehow possible:
A mixture of lottery and saving until the price of a phone is reached. Every month you can pay 5,50 Euro or multiple of it and you get one lottery ticket, no matter how much you spend. 5 Euro get saved for your FP, 50ct are thrown into a draw pot. Everybody can spend money to the draw pot, of course. If you win, your savings get part of the draw pot. If you haven’t won until your savings reached the price of a FP4 the money can be used for buying a FP at the FP shop.

Fairphone could spend half a FP and as soon 290 Euro are in the draw pot one FP gets raffled. The savings of the winner get part of draw pot for the next month. In case there is enough in the draw pot for 2 or more phones then more FP will be raffled.

Some german bank provide Gewinnsparen (literal: “Winnings-Saving” german WP [1]). Maybe that can be copied. I guess a lottery license is necessary. Maybe a bank can be used as a partner to manage the money and organize the lottery. Then some money would have to be spend to the bank.

[1] Gewinnsparen – Wikipedia

2 Likes

Was this meant as a continuation of this discussion?

If yes, do you want it moved there? :thinking:

Not a big fan of anything that concerns gambling myself, especially if it involves money, but it certainly sounds like an interesting idea.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen that. The threads may be merge, I don’t care.

3 Likes

Hei filipesm,
Would you be up for helping me buy the fairphone4 as part of your donation? My OnePlus3 has served me nearly a good 5 years, but its starting to malfunction and no repairshops have a solution for me, so I was looking to buy something similar to replace it. Buying a new phone wouldn’t be my first option normally, but I really love Fairphones mentality and would love to support their effort. But the big BUTT for me is that 650.- to pay for a phone is slightly to pricy.
Hope this will be taken with sincerity and I totally understand if the answer is a no, just thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask. :slight_smile:

Maybe the founders of fairphone can make a donation page? So people outside eu and even in it can donate to help get the product going outside the eu?

I mean I personally wouldn’t mind spending donating money to help that process out.

I moved your post here even if the intention is slightly different

Else another Discussion here

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.