Hotspot: wifi working ok but no internet conection

Portable hotspot seems to be working fine. I get it set up and devices connect properly to the wifi, however they do not have access to internet (Yes, the phone has internet access and tried with my SIM card in another phone and worked). It has been like this since the very begining … but i didnt need until now…

Anyone experiencing the same?

thanks!

I’ve never tried it. I’ve always used USB tethering when I needed to share the connection. Is that a workaround for you?

Do you perhaps come from Spain?

1 Like

not really… I would like to share with 2-3 users … thanks!

yes… from Spain… ¿?¿?¿?

We have had customers report the same issue and we asked some phones back to check it out, they all worked here without any trouble… You will most likely need to put your foot down and ask (demand) your provider to allow the phone to use hotspot connectivity.

I have no clue how they can see that you are using your phone as a hotspot, but I guess it could be done with packet sniffing or such (which should be illegal afaik.)

We had one customer who demanded their provider for an explanation and then they fixed (allowed) it. :confused:

3 Likes

Some mobile operators have special (and clever) traffic management software running on their data network. This analyses the ‘packets’ of data sent over the network and thereby reveals information about what device is receiving the data. Blocks can be put in place to prevent this type of tethering.

Some networks will remove the block, others will not. It depends on your network and whether tethering is allowed - for instance if you have unlimited data then tethering probably won’t be allowed by the operators ‘fair usage’ policy.

It’s worth asking your operator though and see whether you can have it allowed.

2 Likes

Ok… thank you!! I will check with them and let you know… However…
I have no problems tethering in another device with my same sim card

1 Like

This is yet another problem with this phone. I have exactly the same problem, I put my card in my friends phone and it works just fine! which is how i am connected now to type this but on my fairphone it won’t work, surely the provider can see where the data ends up regardless of the phone. I have this problem with 2 providers… We even tried connecting his phone to mine and that would not work. I have the same if i try USB tethering. its the damn phone!

same problem for me. Works fine in friends phone thought.

Are you using some firewall program like AFWall+?

Did you contact your provider, as @Techaddict suggested above?

[quote="Techaddict,post:6]You will most likely need to put your foot down and ask (demand) your provider to allow the phone to use hotspot connectivity.

We had one customer who demanded their provider for an explanation and then they fixed (allowed) it.[/quote]

I have the same problem as sparkylabs and martavila.

My Fairphone does not work either as a wi-fi hotspot or via USB tethering. I have already checked with my cell phone company and they told me they allow tethering.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to solve this issue?

Thank you!

A reinstall of Fairphone OS could work.

Hi Stefan, thank you for the hint!

I gave it a try last night and this morning, but both the WI-FI hotspot and the USB tethering are not working. Do you have any other advice for me? :smile:

Yes! Following this post you could delete the file /data/misc/wifi/p2p_supplicant.conf using a Root Explorer like Amaze.

@Stefan Thank you so much! Everything is working now! I really can’t thank you enough :slight_smile:

1 Like