Hope for future FP1 Android updates

I’m gonna remember you then! :slight_smile:

“We … obtained a software license from all our major partners and license holders that allows us to modify the Fairphone 1 software and release new versions to our users. Getting that license also required us to … distribute Mentor Graphics’s RTOS used on the phone.” (Long-term software support for FP1 1)

Good. Right now I bite my tongue not to ask detailed questions about the licenses and the RTOS. I just hope that the FP devs can now debug, fix, update and compile the blobs and hand them out so that it all will work together. :smile:

Mentor Graphics’s RTOS Hompage

3 Likes

Just to be clear, the blog doesn’t say that FP will be able to release the source code into the wild and make it open source, so I don’t think you’ll be able to check the code yourself. It doesn’t say they received an open source licence, so I guess that means FP will be the only ones to handle the code as such, and it will be them that look at the ability to port other OSs to the FP1 rather than it being a FP/community effort.

It’s certainly a step forward, and hopefully now gives some reassurances that the FP1 is here to stay… which is excellent news.

3 Likes

Yes, I feel the same. But they “acquired” a licences to distribute the Mentor Graphics’s RTOS. So maybe with a few blobs more, the AOSP code and the UI code together they could release something that in the end a “normal” user could use to build the rom itself.

But I don’t know. I read the same text a you. But honestly, most of the FB blog releases are not that helpful. They do not even really explain what did and what they received in the end. Else I would have thank them for specifically doing what they did. But I was not able to figure that out by reading the blog entry :wink:

We will see it when the code/the blobs is/are out. But as you, I don’t expect a lot of source code. But a build howto and some git repo would be nice.

2 Likes

is also the basis for Android Studio, the new recommended Android SDK by Google.

Just to let readers of this thread know: @chrmhoffmann has ported Android 4.4 Kitkat to FP1. There are still many rough edges but it shows that even with just community effort progress is possible.

8 Likes

As I really would like to get some current bluetoooth gadgets (like a headset or photography accessory ) I would be very interested in an Android update that enables the Bluetooth LE capabilities of my FP1U device, hence Android 4.4 “KitKat”.
(As far as I understood, the FP1Us hardware is BT LE capable, but Android 4.2 isn’t.)

So, what’s the current state on that matter?

I’ve moved your post here as most of the back story is discussed here

This is probably not the best time to ask, with the imminent release of the FP2. I’m hoping updates for FP1 will resurface on the agenda not too long after the FP2 stuff is sorted out. If you’re willing to experiment with your device (at your own risk, obviously), see the the topic linked in the post above yours about an unofficial port of KitKat.

1 Like

Thanks for keeping the forum clean and organized. :sunny:

Guess you’re right about the bad timing, but I just came across that photography accessory kickstarter-campaign I linked in my previous post, with only hours left to contribute, so I felt the urgent need for an updated on that issue. :wink:
I guess have to let go on that accessory and further exercise patience …

There is an easy to follow (disclaimer: I wrote a part of it) howto here in the forum for getting an unofficial 4.4.4 on your phone. If you want to test it and don’t need your phone for a while and have backups …

In the meantime … you can also buy cheap time lapse hardware or build your own with a mircocontroller. Smartphones have nice interfaces, but sometimes cheap hardware is … cheaper :wink:

I’m not sure what you mean, but if I understand the posts from @chrmhoffmann correctly, the MTK sources are not even fully supporting 4.4.4. He had to merge the sources with the Android updates himself. So I don’t see a chance for FP1 5.x releases backed by MTK code … but maybe I’m wrong.

Haha, no I didn’t mean Android versions, but Fairphone 1 OS versions (e.g. Kola Nut, L…, M…, N…). I’m aware that we won’t get Lollipop on the FP1 :woot:

2 Likes

Hi!
I can confirm with 4.4.4 Bluetooth LE works, I tried with a prototype device at work and the phone pairs and is able to communicate with the device very well :smile:
Bye!

4 Likes

Unfortunately I need my phone on a daily basis…

I use 4.4.4 daily and have no problems so you can try it if you like :smile:

1 Like

I’m starting to doubt the “fairphone idea”.

Besides the (as) fair (as possible) raw materials and labour conditions one of the arguments for the Fairphone was it’s reparability and therefore longevity.

Right now, i’ve got two problems:
My display broke and that spare part is “out of stock” since October. Just 18 months after i bought my FP. :frowning:

Well, and then there’s the software. My phone is still operating on Android 4.2.2 and no i don’t want to mess around with the phone i use every day. I want it to run stable on an more or less up-to-date os (= one main version above the latest available -> Lollipop would be fine, for Marshmallow is already available) without having to hack my way through the update/upgrade process. Sooner or later some apps won’t work with my phone anymore and THAT would be a real bummer.

So, i just don’t see that longevity for the FP at the moment. And no, i won’t buy the FP2, because that would be the opposite of what i understand as the “fairphone idea”.

Greetings Eike

2 Likes

Yes, @Eike, you are right and most of us agree with you. Even people at Fairphone see this point. Unfortunately this is caused by choices (especially the Chipset) made in an early stage by a team inexperienced as a phone manufacturer. At this point there is little they can do about it.

It seems as if Fairphone has at least learned something from the first edition phone and tried to avoid those pitfalls with the second phone.

6 Likes

Hey guys,

I just ran into this topic and I want to motivate the people, who (think they) need a higher android version, to try chrmhoffmanns ROM (Android 4.4.4 version 0.9.3). I just updated a few days ago my FP1 and it works in my opinion better then the Stock ROM.

I think everyone who wants to have the update should try it and use the tutorials out of this community. It is an effort to do this but with help out of the community it is no problem. It may take you one weekend, but most of the time you are just setting your phone up with your favourite apps an settings.

I did it and therefore, everyone can do it!

If you are still thinking that how it works and how you get it is none of your busyness - then you are wrong. We all have something in common, that we do care about all the things happening behind a product. If you are not able to take your time to read through the topic then you are not worth the new version, sorry hon.

When you do read through it, then you will see it is not really complicated and you will find help here if you need it!

cheers

4 Likes

I don’t know where to ask this question so… (and it’s not that I don’t trust you guys… :wink: quite the contrary, I find incredible all that work; I will most probably upgrade to this after my next hard reset):

Is there any chance that there will be a official fairphone FP1 ROM update?

I do think that the Fairphone team will look into an official upgrade to Kitkat, but first they will try to solve the most urgent issues with the FP2 software.

1 Like