Help me decide on what to buy next

Meaghan,
I can’t find “battery protect” anywhere in my wife’s FP3, is this a FP5-only function?

Correct. It’s the function available only in stock android for FP5. I think there are some apps doing a similar thing but to stop charging you need to override system prerogatives, so I believe more tinkering is a must (like changing to custom OS, rooting, etc) . You may search forum for that as I am no expert in alternative ROMs.

2 Likes

It’s available in /e/OS on the Fairphone 3/3+ from Android 13 on.

(And yes, I enabled this only for the screenshot, before anyone asks about the 98% :wink: .)

Which Android version? (See About phone in the Settings.)

But whatever your current version is … This feature might still come to you in the future.

Edit:
For what it’s worth, I believe in the theory of charge limiting, but I have yet to see negative consequences in practice of me blatantly “mistreating” all my phone batteries all the time. For example I’m on my first FP3 battery after more than 4 years of charging it to 100% whenever and how often I want … and it’s still good.

4 Likes

clearly option #1.
my FP 3 fell and the screen stopped working. however, I heard the buzz when starting it and battery charging worked. replaced the screen (10 min fumbling) and now it’s fine again. :heavy_check_mark:

1 Like

Not seeing anywhere :confused:

What if you search on the word battery?

You are running Fairphone OS, I’m running /e/OS. As I said, it might still come to you. /e/OS proves it can be done and it’s not Fairphone 5 exclusive, so Fairphone “just” have to implement the same in Fairphone OS for the Fairphone 3/3+.
You could ask Fairphone support whether they have any plans about it … https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us

2 Likes

Not sure where you got the price, but on the official site the FP5 is actually 200€/£ more expensive than the FP4.

1 Like

I think they mean the Battery Saver button.

No that wasnt meant…and what was meant does not exist on the FP3 with FPOS

This app needs root: